DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nate wrote
. . . the A727 trans pan will work on your A518 (46RH or 46RE).
However the A518 trans pan is already considerably deeper than a stock A727 pan because of the larger valve body. I'm thinking that a deep pan for an A727 won't be much deeper than the stock A518 pan, but hey it's worth a shot.

Nate, et al,

On kits where you buy a deeper pan for a 727 there are “spacers”, I’ve seen this on eBay. If I got a 518 pan would I need a “spacer”?

Thanks,
 

·
Do It In A Van
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
I would say yes...the A518 pan is quite a bit deeper than the A727 pan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Speed dragon... I think they mean the pan is deeper therefore holds more oil... & you need to put spacers under the filter to reach the oil level & keep it submerged!...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mopower79 said:
Speed dragon... I think they mean the pan is deeper therefore holds more oil... & you need to put spacers under the filter to reach the oil level & keep it submerged!...
dragon is right. Thanks for the 411 guys
 

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
L5wolvesf said:
dragon is right. Thanks for the 411 guys
I am?? Sweeeet:D lol I think you mean Mopower79.

That would kinda make sense, then again, you wouldn't lower the level of fluid in the pan, the would be defeating the purpose. You should still fill it up to the same level as a stock pan. In which case you don't need to space the filter any, it'll still be submerged as usual only it'll have more fluid under it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,590 Posts
I know I'm off the topic, but I wanna ask anyhow.

Is the 727 the same length as the A518?
 

·
Do It In A Van
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
The A518 is longer because the OD unit is in the tailshaft section. The tailshaft is also a bit larger.
 

·
Do It In A Van
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
I still think you need a filter spacer for the deeper pan. If you look at the aftermarket deep pans kits that are available, they all come with a spacer. The A518 does not require a spacer because the valve body is bigger, but on an A727 it is not. The job of the spacer is to get that filter down into the fluid as far as possible.
 

Attachments

·
Do It In A Van
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but maybe to keep the filter submersed during cornering. That's the only thing I can think of.

Kinda like if you buy a deep oil pan...you don't want to use the stock pickup. You'd want the matching pickup to go along with the deeper pan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,590 Posts
Dodgevanman said:
I'm no expert by any means but maybe to keep the filter submersed during cornering. That's the only thing I can think of.

Kinda like if you buy a deep oil pan...you don't want to use the stock pickup. You'd want the matching pickup to go along with the deeper pan.
This I dont understand, if you go to a deeper pan, dont you have to put more fluid in it so the level will be the same? Isn't the whole idea of a deep pan to hold more fluid?
 

·
Do It In A Van
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
Yes Rusty that is exactly the reason for going to a deeper pan. More fluid means a cooler running transmission. You'll notice alot of aftermarket deep pans are aluminum with cooling fins cast in.

The A518 on the other hand uses a deep pan because the valve body hangs lower than that of an A727.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
trans pan

Speed Dragon said:
I am?? Sweeeet:D lol I think you mean Mopower79.

That would kinda make sense, then again, you wouldn't lower the level of fluid in the pan, the would be defeating the purpose. You should still fill it up to the same level as a stock pan. In which case you don't need to space the filter any, it'll still be submerged as usual only it'll have more fluid under it.

Ok i'ts been one of those weeks. But dare I say it again . . . Dragon is right, about Mopower79 actually being right.

And . . . Dragon brings up a good point re the fluid level. Comments ? Does anyone else want to be right on this :)

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dodgevanman said:
I still think you need a filter spacer for the deeper pan. If you look at the aftermarket deep pans kits that are available, they all come with a spacer. The A518 does not require a spacer because the valve body is bigger, but on an A727 it is not. The job of the spacer is to get that filter down into the fluid as far as possible.
Do you have any recommendation on aftermarket trans pan?

Thanks
 

·
Do It In A Van
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
While expensive, the aluminum pans are probably the best because of their rigidity they tend not to warp.

As far as any particular brand goes...well I can't really say. I guess it boils down to the kit that offers the best value.
 

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
I like whichever ones have a drain plug :) No more messy filter changes.

I guess it would help in cornering, since it would be further below the fluid level. For normal usage though, I don't think it matters much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,590 Posts
and I guess for wheeling too
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top