Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'97, 135,000 miles, 1500 SLT, 5.2, standard duty trans

When it is really cold, below 32 degrees, it will whine upon starting. Sometimes it's kinda like a roar. The whine changes as rpms do in all gears and comes from the front on the trans - converter area.Sometimes, it goes away when it gets hotter. Sometimes no noise at all. Happens in OD and no OD. Definitely worse when colder. Trans fluid level is correct and does not smell burnt. Bands were adjusted last year with no issues afterwards. Bearings in the rear were replaced 5,000 miles ago at the dealer -it's not the rear.

Is this a serious noise? Ideas on the problem - converter, pump? Other?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Usually a converter noise will not go away when it gets warmed up. Also,if it is the converter,it will get worse............. quickly.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
A converter will usually get louder when you put it in gear (as apposed to park or neutral)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Open it up and check the fluids and filter, could be a little debris on it. Worse case scenario if nothings apparent in there your puttin' fresh fluids in and filter and can eliminate that. Also check the magnet in the pan for debris, hopefully the roaring isn't grinding anything apart unlike mine that turned the tc into mush after some serious water crossings :]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to try a little Lucas treatment since I hear so much good about it.

It really makes two noises. One is the whine that changes with rpms and other is almost a rattle, kinda like a roar, when it is real bad upon start-up. There are still times with no noise. I'm going to remove the converter cover to see if helps me identify location better.

I did change the fluid and filter about 20,000 miles ago but I'll give that a try last.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that the weather has warmed up, the noises are gone. The "roar" may have been the fan clutch. Given that synthetic fluid is used, any idea why the noise was there in the cold only?

I used to have a noise in the cold with reverse only. Adjusting the bands seemed to have fixed that. No noise since in reverse.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I know there was a service bulletin that Dodge had several years ago for different models that required changing out some valve with an updated one. Mine has done it since day one. It goes away when it warms up. Mine was louder in reverse. I had the update done on a Durango I use to own. It worked at first but eventually it to came back. Doesn't hurt anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.