DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was getting tired of the surging shifting and odd down shifts so, I've dropped it at the dealership.

Symptoms were it shifted fine until warmed up, then would slip from 2nd -3rd, then back again at times.

According to the dealership, the trans cooler is bad, plus a few other unrelated things that need fixing.

So, I'll pick it up tomorrow and see how it's running. Hopefully, that's the fix.

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trans still slipping/surging after dealer worked on it.

Well, the trans cooler was replaced and the fluids flushed, the bands were also supposedly adjusted.

Now, the symptoms are a bit worse. The surging/slipping from 2nd-3rd is more pronounced. Seems like it keeps wanting to drop back to 2nd when accelerating. Once going, past 3rd, it's just fine.

Also seems to get worse as it warms up.

I'm starting to search through the forum here some more but, am I looking at a rebuild at this point?

If so, would it make sense to consider a complete replacement with perhaps, a Jasper tranny?

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rebuild or replace.

take it back and say its not fixed.

Yeah, the mechanic told me that if this didn't fix it, then most likely a rebuild is needed. His thinking was he did all he could without getting into a rebuild.

Soooo, do I.....
a. rebuild at dealership
b. rebuild at local tranny shop
c. replace with a Jasper or similar tranny and get a warranty?

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Video of mis-shifting and normal shifting.

Any help appreciated.
Here's a link to two videos, one showing normal shifting, the other showing a mis-shift.

Just took it out for a couple of tests and it did not mis-shift every time, which is the weird part to me.

http://gallery.me.com/eslrichey#100012

These are both at WOT, which is part of the reason for the bumpiness.

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple....

pressure transducer and solonoid
Ok, that's a wonderfully brief and probably accurate answer. However I have no idea what either of those things are....let alone how/if to fix myself.

But, thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Does your truck have a 518 or the newer , umm ... ( what the hec do they call it )
545rfe? You probably have the newer trans, but i am not sure. I have rebuilt a few of the 518's and onr 545rfe , which stands for 5 speed, 45 ?? rear wheel fully elextronic. ( rfe) . So anyway, what I believe you have is a bad solonoid pack in the trans, if you have the 545rfe. The valve body needs to be dropped down, and then you unbolt the solonoid pack from it, new filters, ( 2 in trans ) and reassemble with proper fluid. ( not any old trans fluid, be careful. )

If you have the old style you may be dealing with either a rebiuld, or the governer pressure sensor and solonoid.

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Older tranny

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.....I have the older tranny, 46RE I believe?

It's an '02 1500.

Sooooo, should I look at just getting a better/newer tranny, like maybe a Jasper?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah , you did mention bands, that would be the 518. I would check and make sure the dealer has the level full first. It could be low, and would cause a lot of the problems you describe. Failing that, I would locate a reputible rebuild shop, and have them drive it, and get their opinion. I personally would not just drop it off ( unless I knew the shop ) beacuse I have heard too many stories on the shop pulling the trans before autorization, leaving you stuck. But it does sound like you could be looking at a rebuild. ( Or get a used trans ) look on car-part.com for prices/ milage/ locations on who has one close.

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jasper bound...

Thanks Slam for the reply

Took it to a tranny shop today. The owner/Chief mechanic and I went for a drive, me as passenger (always a weird thing).

He also thought it was time for a rebuild, quoted about $1500.

They are a Jasper installer so I asked about that too. I'm planning to go that route. More expensive overall, but with a 3 yr 100k mile warranty. I personally like the idea of having a remanufactured tranny, vs a rebuilt one.

So, it's looking like $1700 for "new" tranny, $450 for install. Ouch.

Well, guess I'll be keeping this truck for awhile now. Hmmmm, time for more mods I guess!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Do yourself a favor, if you are going the extra route, and buy a new radiator. All that crud in the cooler will contaminate the new trans.

The flush stuff works ok, but a new cooler would be better. Good luck, let us know how you come out.

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New cooler

If you mean the the transmission cooler, I just replaced that last week.

I'll definitely post the results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
The trans cooler is now contaminated with all the crap from the failed trans, no matter if you ran it 1 day or 10 years. Be careful. At least flush it before you run the new trans. That ought to do it.

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3rd time the charm?

Thanks for tip slam, I confirmed that the shop will be doing this.

Soooo, Jasper has sent the wrong transmission over to the shop not once, but twice.

3rd Trans. is arriving today, hopefully 3rd time is the charm. Been without the truck for a week.

But good news is, I get to drive the wife's summer car, a '94 Mazda Miata, zoom, zoom! :cool:

·
Bigg Rigg
2,063 Posts
What part of IL are you from?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Ok, that's a wonderfully brief and probably accurate answer. However I have no idea what either of those things are....let alone how/if to fix myself.

But, thanks!
thats what your problem is, its not the transmission going bad, its an easy fix and not expensive. the problem is miss diagnosis and a greedy trans guy.

Attachments

·
Semper Fidelis
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
3rd times the charm

Mastertech, it's too late. Man, I sure hope it wasn't just that, cause the tranny was just replaced.

It took 3 times for Jasper to send the right tranny over but, they did and it's now installed and back in my driveway. All told, about $2500 to get it done, ouch. 3 year 100k mile warranty, hopefully I keep it that long.....

Someone asked, I live in Grayslake IL.

Nice to have my truck back anyways.

Now, time to start thinking about putting dual pipes on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.