DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just purchased not too long ago -a 1985 W350 4x4 pickup with a 5.9 and 727 trans i think and it rolls when put into park! Is something majpr wrong? Am i looking at big $$$ to fix this? It moves when in drive but i havent had a chance to take her out on the road yet to run through the gears because its not registered yet. TIA

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
Your park cog is shot, either that or your shift linkage isn't adjusted correctly. The latter is a much easier fix obviously but the cog isn't horrible its just not very fun. If the cog is the issue I'd go ahead and have the tranny gone through while you've got it out. Kill two birds so'ta speak.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
A dumb question. Is you transfer case in neutral or possibly broken?
Check that and shift linkage before tearing it appart to save $.
--B-300--

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B-300 said:
A dumb question. Is you transfer case in neutral or possibly broken?
Check that and shift linkage before tearing it appart to save $.
--B-300--
I know its not in neutral because it moves in drive and reverse. That means it cant be broken then right? I do however need to check the linkage though.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
check the linkage for sure

however, if the linkage was that far out that the parking pawl is not engaging, you would be having trouble with the neutral/park interlock for the starter

Sounds like the parking pawl is broken off

If you get that repaired, I agree with going through the transmission and there may be some bits floating about

Good luck; I hope it is something simple like a linkage adjustment

·
Mopar Or No Car!
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
acton mike said:
check the linkage for sure

however, if the linkage was that far out that the parking pawl is not engaging, you would be having trouble with the neutral/park interlock for the starter

Sounds like the parking pawl is broken off

If you get that repaired, I agree with going through the transmission and there may be some bits floating about

Good luck; I hope it is something simple like a linkage adjustment
Actually now that you mentioned it, I should have said it needs to be in Neutral to start it-so does this mean theres a good chance its the linkage???

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
If it has to be in neutral check the neutral safety switch and the wiring to it and the cog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.