1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 Sport Offroad

Ok, the list....
Truck will not go into Park
Start out in first, hit about 2,000rpms, the trans. searches between 1st and 2nd going up down up down up down.....so if you hit the gas harder the engine speed rises but truck doesn't accelerate...she'll bounce off the rev limiter, in gear, and not go up a gear, and truck wont accelerate...when its bouncing off the rev limiter.....almost like your in neutral.... finally when it, goes into third (i think) and it goes in kinda hard but the power from the trans isn't always there...torque converter?? my first guess but i dont think thats it...

dude...i need some help

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Your kickdown band strut has probably fallen out jamming the linkage and causing you to have no 2nd gear... This will require removal of the valve body to fix.
To be certian, try and adjust the kickdown band.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#$%&

sounds about right man it feels like i dont have second

thanks alot!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i ease the throttle very very very easy it'll shift fine (sometime)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would cause the kickdown band strut just to...fall off??

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
The kickdown band strut can fall out if the band isn't adjusted as it wears. It seems that the factory spec to back off 2-7/8 tuns is on th loose side and most set it in the 1-1/2 to 2 turns backed off from 72 in-lbs. (6ft-lbs)
The only picture I know of to show how it should look when assembled correctly is at the 1st page, post 12 of:
www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161544

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i'm hearing a grinding or whining noise now thats coming from the tranny..the wierd thing is that it gets louder with engine RPM'.....and more frequent...may be coming from the bell housing???....trans fluid smells like $hit...very burnt, I'm smelling very burnt metal....

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
KillerMac said:
So i'm hearing a grinding or whining noise now thats coming from the tranny..the wierd thing is that it gets louder with engine RPM'.....and more frequent...may be coming from the bell housing???....trans fluid smells like $hit...very burnt, I'm smelling very burnt metal....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sitting Duck???

i was in an accident like 2 weeks ago right after accident i started having all these problems... :bawl: i hope they cover the trans 2...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im' guessing the noise i was hearing is the planetary gears???? she blew.... 70 miles from home...

·
Registered
444 Posts
KillerMac said:
trans fluid smells like $hit...very burnt, I'm smelling very burnt metal....
The only other worse smelling fluid is the 80w90 diff fluid.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol actually i kinda like that smell....ha :crazy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.