DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has run across this issue. I have a 00 Ram with a diesel engine with 209,000 miles. It has a brand new transmission in it. At about 45-55 miles per hour it starts shifting in and out of overdrive. Once I get up to highway speeds it is fine. I have had it checked several times and nobody can seem to figure it out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Father has '99 2500 CTD and it did the same thing we traced it down to the computer ground connectors by the battery. To fix it look on the right side battery negative cable about 10-12" down from the battery terminal. There are two black connectors, take them apart and spray them with contact cleaner. then squeeze some dielectric grease in them and plug them back in. His last about 16-18 month before needing it again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1999 CTD Auto mine just started doing the same thing and the only new item was a transmission temperture sensor added to the tranny. I used the port on the passenger side right behind the dipstick. The sensor I put in is deeper than the plug I took out so I imagine the depth of that plug has something to do with the governor on the tranny and causes the shifting in and out around the 45-50mph range. I am not sure how to solve the problem yet but I do know it has something to do with the plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 01 quad dully is doing the same thing, gonna try the battery cable cleaning first, then try the sensor if that does'nt work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
same problem
Servicing the tranny didn't fix.
Both9,
if the ground conection to the computer was bad/faulty, wouldn't you get an error code?
Going to check it anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
rmaw said:
1999 CTD Auto mine just started doing the same thing and the only new item was a transmission temperture sensor added to the tranny. I used the port on the passenger side right behind the dipstick. The sensor I put in is deeper than the plug I took out so I imagine the depth of that plug has something to do with the governor on the tranny and causes the shifting in and out around the 45-50mph range. I am not sure how to solve the problem yet but I do know it has something to do with the plug.
Your temp sensor should be a solid material so you could cut or grind it to length and have no problems doing so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I cleaned the ground connection,and all the wire harness plugs that goes to sensors on the transmission and my problems went away.

·
Registered
48 Posts
fixing the ground worked for me
thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could be the TPS or the wiring to the TPS getting dirty signals from the alternator .Some guys on the TDR site cover one of the wires with foil to fix it .Arnie

·
Brian
358 Posts
I am looking at buying my friends cummins, its A 98 12V. His also does this and it has a new tranny in it, so i tried cleaning the connecter like you said and greasing it and putting it back on but it didnt fix the problem. Could i have cleaned the wrong wire connection? I dont guess anybody can post some pics up can they? I`m not quite sure what part to clean as im new to diesels. Although regardless of the problem, I`m still buying that cummins! TIA -Brian

·
Registered
48 Posts
cleaned everything
replaced bad connectors
replaced bad battery connectors

Didn't leave anything to chance
fixed problem

·
Brian
358 Posts
Damn no one has any pics of the 2 connectors?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Passenger side battery has a number of wires attached to the ground. These made the difference, but I would recommend checking and cleaning them all.

Before takening mine apart and replaceing the terminal ends, everything was tight. The problem did not go away until I took it apart, replaced terminals, rerouting the wireing so it had more slack.

let me know what happens

good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
bad grounds

at first i had the tranny doing this at hyway speeds,60-70,found one of the ground terminals on the batt,was just sitting on the terminal,not tight at all,tightened it up and totally fixed that problem,then i noticed the tranny was doing it again,but at a lower speed like 40-50,then i cleaned every battery terminal,posts and wire ends and the 2 connectors under the pass/side battery,my connectors were light grey,not black, and it totally fixed it, and i dont know if its a coinkidink but my oil pres. gauge used to go to zero reading very often like 4-5 times in 10 miles,enuff to drive me crazy,and after the ground cleaning,it hasn't happened again.....thanks everyone.....

·
Brian
358 Posts
Lol now I feel smart, I was cleaning all the drivers side connections and terminals. One of these days I'll borrow his truck and redo it on the passengers side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1997 3500 diesel 4x4 and I had the same problem twice since I've owned the truck in eight years. The dealership repaired the problem by replacing the throttle positioning sensor. It happened a second time a few months ago. Replacing the same part fixed the problem. It is about a $230 part. Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this problem too,only mine is about 35 to 38 mph,i have been thinking about a tps sensor but i think i"ll try this ground thing first,icould not geta code on the tp switch but your idea is much cheaper,thanks guys,jc brady.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this problem too,only mine is about 35 to 38 mph,i have been thinking about a tps sensor but i think i"ll try this ground thing first,icould not geta code on the tp switch but your idea is much cheaper,thanks guys,my truck is a 1998 dodge ram 2500 with tow package,quad cab,long bed,4x4, with 168000 miles on her,she been a goodone,thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a '99 2wd shortbed and had the same problem. It took reflashing the PCM to fix it. As I understand it, under heavy electrical loads, the alternator emits a lot of electrical noise/interference that messes with the PCM. One fix is the foil wrap trick, another is installing a noise filter/isolator which can be ordered from BD diesel or DTT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.