DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 HEMI 4x4 and it is time to change the trans fluid and the differential fluids in the front and reat axel. Does any one know the quantity for either three of these and the types of fluids. I went to Auto Zone and O Rileys and neither one list the type or quantities. Oh also I was trying to change the brakes and have the rotars turned on the front but I can't get the bolt off that holds on the rotar's. Any ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Your owners manual will tell you quantity and which weights you need. In the back under maintenance. Not sure on what gear lube you need but if you have the auto trans it is ATF +4. Only MOPAR offers a certified ATF +4 at this time despite claims from some aftermarket oil companies.

Just a note on the tranny fluid change. There is no plug in the torque converter as in the old days. Thus, the only way to get all of the old fluid out is to either flush it or use a fluid vacuum. Just dropping the pan and getting what fluid will come out only removes approx half of it. You are best off to take it somewhere for a flush or vacuum service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 02 4x4 ram and need to know the quantity of gear oil for the rear gears? If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Before somebody tells me to check the manual, did that and I could not find it in there. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It is in your manual. Not being insulting or anything just go back and look as you missed it. Under the maintenance section in the back there will be an area for recommended fluids and capacity. May be in the same section or in seperate ones. In my 04 manual the capacity and recommended fluids are in different areas under the same section( ie; maintenance ).

With that said, if you have the Chrysler 9.25 axle 4 qts should cover it( actually uses 3 and change ). Think you have the same rear axle as I do if your Ram is a 1500( you don't say? ).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't checked in my manual for the quantity for my differentials but I have checked for trans fluid and they don't list it. I will probably have a full flush anyway but just curious. Any one know anything about that spindal nut on the rotars and how to get it off. What size nut it is?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks, since I used ATF+3 recommended by the auto parts store, what do I do now?
Drain the ATF+3 and put the correct fluid in. I would also try to get a refund at the store that recommended the ATF+3 because of their mistake.

·
Registered
486 Posts
that store has clueless freaks working there.drain it and stay with the atf4.nobody has it but dodge.me personally i use amsoil with no problems.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Actually, ATF +3 and ATF +4 are pretty much compatible with each other( can't mix them together but if it was a flush and fill you are okay for a bit )so don't panic. The ATF +3 won't blow your tranny or make your seals leak( right off anyway )but if you are still under warranty it voids your tranny portion.

Actually, there was a point not long ago when dealers were calling DC's service tech line about problems with tranny slipping and poor overall tranny performance running ATF +4. The advice was to flush and fill with ATF +3. I got this right from the service manager I deal with and he said it worked fine. Problem was once all these warranty claims got back to the big wigs at DC service and they saw the ATF +3 going into ATF +4 vehicles it got stopped right away. He showed me the memo saying to stop it right off and that ONLY ATF +4 was to be used in vehicles calling for it.

As the other guy's said go back to the place that did it and make them do it with ATF +4. If they don't have it( and unless they have MOPAR on the shelf they don't )then make them pay for you to go to the dealer and have it flushed and the proper fluid put in. They have NO choice as they put the wrong stuff in. Show them right in your manual.

·
Sporting Clays Addict
132 Posts
NHHEMI said:
They have NO choice as they put the wrong stuff in. Show them right in your manual.
They didn't put the wrong stuff in...he did. Although they recommended it, it's still up to the consumer/owner to verify correctness before using it, IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.