DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched but cant find the recent write up done on changing the transmission filters, and was hoping some one can help as I can NEVER get the [email protected] search to work for me they way I want it to. Also the guy at O'reillys is telling me I need to know what kind of transmission I have (44RE or 48Re) how do I know, and out of curiosity whats the difference? Last one how much ATF do I need?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the one THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
You a 5-45RFE transmission. You will need two filters, one is a flat filter, the other a spin on. Also I recommend buying a cheap Seal Puller. They are like $8 at Harbor Freight. You gotta pull the old seal off, mount the new seal and then put the flat filter in place. ATF+4 is the tranny fluid you need. It's not hard, just messy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much aft will I need, and Do the numbers stand for something in the transmission name?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
For just a pan drop I think you need like 8 quarts if I recall. I bought Mopar ATF+4 from Walmart when I did mine last. But any auto parts place carries. Valvoline makes it and there are even store brands of the ATF+4 now.

For more info on the 5-45rfe, which by the way is the same transmission as the 45rfe, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_45RFE_transmission

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,325 Posts
Follow the Transgo link in my signature. I know you are doing just the fluid change, but I did get both filters as well. Hope this helps. I brought a picture of the "can" filter with me, and that enabled the parts guy to find it. PNs are listed in my linked thread. Enjoy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well well went to auto zone and asked for the filters and they gave me the kit but there isn't a rubber gasket in there, what gives. The box is labled TF349/T770 high performance automatic transmission filter. Is this wrong?

·
mafosa
824 Posts
i just used rtv (black) if i recall.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
You don't have a gasket from the factory. I use RTV.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got rtv when went there I just thought everyone had the gasket in the pictures, thanx again.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Don't forget........as was told to me just recently............have PLENTY of newspapers to hand as it's soooo messy lol.
Al.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really; that bad?

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
8 liters of fluid are going to splooge all over the place once the pan gets loose

i'm surprised you didn't get a new gasket for the filter with the kit

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
In case anyone else gets in here and wants some help here are the Dodge part #'s for the trans filters

Spin on filter - 5179267AB
Flat filter 2wd - 5015267AC
Flat filter 4wd - 5013470AC

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
I lay out a big blue tarp with a barrier of kitty litter. That way you don't get cutoff by the wife for a few weeks when she sees the mess.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I lay out a big blue tarp with a barrier of kitty litter. That way you don't get cutoff by the wife for a few weeks when she sees the mess.
Don't let her keep it from you, just remind her just how big the ocean is, lol :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.