DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if it is possible to interchange automatic trans in the newer year dodges.

Can you take the tranny out of a 01 1500 318 and bolt it to a 01 360?
If so can you switch up the years as well?

I have been told not but thought I would check for sure. Thanks

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
The 318 and the 360 share the same 46RE trans. If I'm not mistaken, all of the 1/2 tons shared the same auto (46RE) from 94-02. I might be a little off on the years though.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Both are 46re and should use the neutral balanced flexplate that has it's bolts in a square pattern.... This was started in '96 and the 360 has weights on the flexplate rather than the converter like earlier years.

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
So basically you're saying in a '96 i could use a '96-01 46re, and the 94-95 guys have a different version?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
the main difference is internal over the years as far as wireing in the trans dimension wise everything is the same

·
5,828 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact year the "re" transmission started... As long as it's an "re" of the same size (46) it will work.
(Earlier transmissions are "rh" which have hydraulic governer and a 2 or 3 pin wire connector near the shift+throttle linkage.) The "re" transmission has many wires at this connector and an electronic governer. Also later years use a push-in neutral start switch, earlier screw-in... This switch is just below the shift linkage.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
So basically you're saying in a '96 i could use a '96-01 46re,
No,that is incorrect.There are differences wiring wise and case wise that they will not interchange.

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
No,that is incorrect.There are differences wiring wise and case wise that they will not interchange.
So what years of transmissions could be used on what years of trucks? Or were there differences every year?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
terry i stand corrected i was aware of the wireing diff but i was not aware of case differences could you please fill me in on those i thought they were all the same thanks

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Wiring wise,this is what to look for:

'96-'98 only governor pressure sensor

'99 and up sensor:

they must be the same or the 'puter will trip a code. The internal wiring harness is different due to the different connector shape so it is not just a matter of changing the sensor. ;)

Neutral safety switch

These two can be interchanged (unscrew one ,screw in the other)

2000-up switch,it pushes in and is held in by two 25 torx screws,there are no threads in the case. You cannot interchange with the above.

As a side note,don't take the years posted as "law" the factory didn't always stick to their rules.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i knew about the gov press sensor changes i ran into that when trying to get my first tranny going the pocket that the sensor goes in is machined larger on the new style the older styly has a closer gap i wasnt aware of the safety switch mods thank you for the updates

·
5,828 Posts
I knew about the neutral start switch but not the governer solenoid change... I haven't worked on the "re" transmissions which came to vans, ram trucks and dakota/ durango but not all in the same model year. The same might so for the changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.