DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two occurences in the first 4500 miles that I've owned this truck (check sig below) where I shifted it into drive, but the tranny did not engage. I put it back in park then back into drive again and it engaged.

Anybody else had this happen?

Christopher

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had that happen to me on a test drive when i was thinking about buying the manual. The salesman said "They all do that when they are cold and havent been driven in a while". just for curisotiy sake, 1. was it cold out, 2 have you checked the fluid?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have had an issue several times now that may or may not be totally similar. My indicator will not put the square box around the gear I'm in. I was down shifting coming off a mountain this weekend and it would never put the square box around the "1". Most of the time, it worked in second. I've also has this happen several times in "D".
-Automatic Tranny-48RE

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2 times that it happened to me was after the truck was at full operating temps. The trans fluid level is full. If it does it again, I'll take it in...

Christopher

·
Registered
161 Posts
dachman1 -

I am not sure on the 3rd gen, but i know on the 2nd gen there is a little screw with a copper wire in it that you can spin to adjust the alignment of the little orange indicator in the gear indicator window. it is located half way up the steering column behind the dash.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 05' did it once to me. For some reason the shifter was not correctly in gear, even though it was in "D".... I just adjusted it a little, and never had that problem again..

·
Registered
39 Posts
us too

This has happened to me with my 06 mega cab also. NOw I wonder if I should take it in to have it looked at.

·
Registered
529 Posts
There is a recall on the 05 (for sure) for the shifter sliping. It can actually slip from neutral to reverse, as it has done for me. I think Yahoo has a search for the recall. I will look for it and post the link.

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive had the same problem. Took it to the dealer, they were able to adjust some things, and now it's pretty much perfect. If you're under warranty, just take it to the dealer to be safe.

It has nothing to do with temperature, or how long since it's been driven last. It just has to do with the shifter cable being out of adjustment. Part of the reason I suggest taking it to the dealer is because I know of people who have tried to fix it themselves by adjusting the cable, but a lot of times, they just make it worse.

Until getting it fixed, try to rely on the indents that you can feel as you shift the lever from gear to gear - those dont lie, unlike the gear indicator on the dash. The reason for the recall is that some people will only move the lever until the dash light says "P", as opposed to making sure the lever is firmly in the park indent/notch. When that happens, the lever is right between notches, and vibration from the engine can result in the lever moving into either park, or if your not so lucky, into reverse.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wow, thank you very much for that info! I love this site, especially because I will be under my truck this weekend trying to adjust that cable. Well I have call the dealearship and ask if my modifications void the waranty in relation to the shifter. I would think not, but every dealership is different and I bought my truck used from a Mazda dealership. I knew this was going to be my weekend warrior so no sense spending the extra 6 thousand that new buyers pay. If the dealership does fix this for me I will be further sold as an avid Dodge fan. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for the post. Good to know it wasn't just me being crazy. I will definitely take it in and let them do it under warranty. The trucks only a month old... I was just thinking it was a Dodge thing since I'm a convert over from Ford. LOL.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like a shift inhibit a bit.

Anyway i just wanted to say a friend of mine was ran over by his own CTD. It wasn't completly in park, and when hit slammed the door shut (still running) it slipped into reverse. The front tire ran over his legs, but it could have been much worse. So just make sure if your tranny isn't exacty right, get it checked. oh, and use the e-brake, its there for a reason.

sorry for the rant...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yep I always set my E-brake, and I have a auto. Just some times I dont crank it there enough. Our trucks require some @$$ to get um down there. Still have to take mine into the local dealer.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
If you look under the truck on the front driver side of the trans pan you will see a bracket that holds your shift cable. Just give that bracket a couple light taps with a hammer(I forget which way) but that will solve your problem. It will save you a trip to the dealer!! I had that problem on my 03 and that method fixed it but I still always used the E-Brake after that...

Remember, light taps. If you do this and it seems worse then you have tapped it the wrong way. Just lightly tap it the opposite way.. ;)

I have looked and looked but can't seem to find the shift cable on my truck!!! :help:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.