DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 99 ctd 4x4 of course automatic tranny i was quoted $1700-$2200 thats going in doing a complete overhaul putting in a better torque converter in it a billet plate a shift kit and oversized bearings etc. thats labor and taxes hes not sure of an exact price until he takes it apart to see exactly what it needs i think thats a decent price what do you guys think????? thanks for the help in advance

· 96 2500 cummins
51 Posts
thats what my tranny guy quoted me but my diesel shop really recomends a BD valve body 500 dollars and a BD torque converter 1200 dollars but my tranny guy will knock off 100 dollars for shift kit not needed with valve body and 500 because i dont need his converter. so right around 3000 for it.
But i hate the stock converter the slip in it drives me nuts so i am going with the BD parts :rck:

· Blowin n' Goin
3,807 Posts
That sounds like a great price to me. The guy i talked to told me 4000 and i get a single lock converter, new clutches, his valvebody, but same fly wheel, input, intermediate, and output shafts. Then he told me $7500 i can build a tranny i wont break.

· 96 2500 cummins
51 Posts
well i know for the price he gave me it is using all good stuff he said they change a lot add more clutches etc use Kevlar bands and clutches on and on. and it seems about right all the top tranny guys on the internet all sell the tranny for 35-4000 so he seems right on track?

· Blowin n' Goin
3,807 Posts
Yea, but with the stock output shaft if that breaks then im in a heap of trouble cause now i got transfercase issues. Or do i really need to worrie bout that? What yall think?

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok cool its going in on monday ill have it back in a couple days he said 2-3 days and ill have it back which i thought was a good turn around time. ill let ya know how it does

· Registered
36,020 Posts
Atleast get the billet input shaft. If you are doing 4 wheel launches you will also need the billet output shaft. Don't cheap out the first time because you will end up doing it twice

· Blowin n' Goin
3,807 Posts
i was given a quote for $2200 to rebuild my tranny. He said new and more clutches and a billet converter and said that will take anything i put in front of it. :gr_bs: He also said whatever else i throw in he will put on. I was thinking bout atleast billen input, better valvebody with more flow, and shift kit. But i am reading bout where if i launch in 4x4 to get billet output. And i have also herd bout billet fly wheel, do i really need to worie bout this also?

· Registered
36,020 Posts
If you only want to do it once then do it all and be done with it. Its a shame when you don't get everything done to save money but six months down the road you need it and you are paying again for the R&R and dismantling when you could have saved all that extra money the first time when it was already out and taken apart.
Just my opinion. When I do something I usually try to do it all at once the first time.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dropped it off this morning i guess ill find out about it before to long hopefully it'll be done by the end of the week

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got the truck back on monday it took them 2 weeks to get it done but its finally done it took so long because more things were done with it then they thought but i got a total of $2695 completly built with a couple odds and ins here and there i was cruising around the day i got it back and that night i was on my way home and almost hit 2 deer in it i slammed the brakes and almost went into the median but now im having a problems with the brakes im thinking maybe a warped rotor but i dont know when i hit the brakes sometimes the truck kinda bounces in the front and it makes a clud clud clud sound i know you wont have any idea what the hell the sounds mean on here but i dunno figures i get one problem fixed and here comes another

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.