DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 tranny has 127k on it and started whining. It shifts fine now but sometimes when I put it in reverse it slips. My local mechanic said a rebuild would cost around 2400 to 2600.00 and it would give me a 12k mile warranty. He said my other option would be a Jasper. I could get one of those for just under 3k. So do the prices seam in line? The rebuild sounds to be in line because I called some other shops. I know nothing about Jasper or their pricing. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Fastest stockblock 4x4 NA
2,695 Posts
I would suggest just getting a trans out of a truck in a junk yard and getting a quick learn done at the dealer. $600 tops

·
Rookie
708 Posts
Yep if you don't plan on racing then just stick to a factory tranny. Junk yard or salvage yard would be the cheapest places to find the best tranny you can. It can come off of any 03-08 1500 5.7L (not sure about the 03). I'm not sure if the the 4x4 plays a part but I don't think it does

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are Jasper Tranny's for racing? I thought they were just remanufactured ones with a great warranty. I guess I should have said I plan on driving this things until the wheels fall off of it. I am a lumber salesman and put 30-40k a year on my truck. So I don't want to just buy a tranny out of a junkyard and go throught this again once it gets up around 100k minels on the tranny.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you have a shop rebuild it, the warranty is through that shop. If you are a thousand miles away, that won't do you any good.
If you have a Jasper trans put in, they warranty for x miles/x months and they don't care which shop as far as I know.
I have used Jasper plenty for engines and always liked putting them in since they also send an install kit that includes belt, plugs, and other "wear" items for the engine.
I have heard they do not rebuild engines/trans that they know are prone to failure. I would think the trans from them is the best option if you don't want the junk yard parts.

·
Rookie
708 Posts
Oh well then yea if you're putting that many miles on then go for the Jasper one. I was just talking heavy duty trannys in general (aka non OEM ones). I probably won't hit 100k until like 2025 at this rate haha

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I'm not saying anything, since I never heard of "Jasper" so I looked around a little bit and found this, for what it's worth.
http://jasper-engines.pissedconsumer.com/
Seems like a lot of complaints to me.

·
Rookie
708 Posts
Jesus how are these people even still in business!? I guess I should have done some research myself they sound like a terrible company. You could always get a ATS or Sheradon transmission too

·
Registered
355 Posts
Is the 07 lifetime powertrain if you are the original owner? Around here we call the Jaspers may pops since you never know with a rebuild. Check out what you have factory wise if not find somebody that trust a shop. Just my 2 cents.

·
+ Hemi Addict +
580 Posts
I've used Jasper and had good experiences but it has been several years...on an 87 Thunderbird 5.0L roller engine with AOD. The luck of the draw thing is true with reman's. They stood by their warranty on 2 occasions, once for a tailshaft seal and again for some sort of valve in the VB. It is (or at least was) a nationwide warranty as long as a reputable shop performed the repairs, in my case they even covered labor costs. The cost quoted sounds high both for an inhouse rebuild (most likely a "soft" rebuild) and for the jasper. If the truck will still drive, get more repair estimates.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called 2 shops. Both were around 2600.00 to rebuild and you only get a 12k mile warranty. The miles I drive it would be out of warranty in 4 months. Both shops recomended Jasper. The one shop said around 28-2900 for the Jasper the other said around 34-3500. On the thread about mad customers, when one failed they did get a new unit. If I go with a shop and it pops after 12k I have to pay for another rebuild. What is the diference from a shop rebuild than a Jasper rebuild? If they are that bad how do they give a 3 year 100k mile warranty? Man now I am really confused.... :ugh

·
Rookie
708 Posts
If you've made it 127k with a OEM tranny why would pay more for something you're unsure of. You know you can get probably 100k out of any OEM tranny you treat properly compared to the crap shoot that seems to be Jasper

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you saying an OEM trannys costs less than 2900 bucks installed?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
One of the differences is that a local shop has their reputation to protect, a company like Jasper is dealing nation wide, they can endure a 15 to 20 percent come back without hurting too much, but the local shop would die with those kind of stats.

A 12K warranty is not bad if the rebuilder made a mistake during the build it will show up pretty quick, way before 12,000 miles. In any case if I were you, I would look around for a quality after market warranty, the way you are rolling up miles, check your local Dodge dealer and see what company they use.

·
Rookie
708 Posts
It probably could if you got one from a salvage yard

·
Registered
163 Posts
well I know your not next to NJ, but I contacted this place a while back they do a complete build up better than stock trans, all the better parts, do a 50 k warranty and do complete in stall for under 3 grand

http://www.levelten.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=32

as I was having trans problems and found out, and didn't see going just stock if I needed to rebuild, may as well go better when redoing has been my motto if i could swing it

turned out my trans filter split, being my problems so didn't get there trans, but would if need be again, but I live closer to NJ so?? but an idea to look about your area for a better trans
as to me pending your skills, if you go junk yard route you never know what was done to it, and if you spend the $$ to buy then pay to install and ?? it adds up to a still questionable trans
but also have to ask how long you plan to keep truck to justify all costs!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with not going the junkyard route. As far as how long do I plan to keep it...I got 200k out of my last dodge and I am gonna see if I can go to 300k on this one. I think I have made up my mind. Thanks for all the insight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.