DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here, and I want to thank previous posts (particularly Rick99's) for helping me to get my transmission out of the van by myself.

My '96 Voyager is going to get it's transmission rebuilt. The manual calls for mopar ATF+3 fluid, and I'm sure thats all it had in it before. Everyone talks about making sure to use +4, but is that only for the newer vans or should I update mine and insist on putting +4 in after the rebuild? Are they interchangable? I'll definitly use the factory fluid, but am keen on keeping with what the manual specs.

I've searched this a bit here but have not found any conclusive answers. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You are right that there are many old posts with conflicting information but rest assured that Chrysler no longer makes ATF+3.

ATF+4 has replaced ATF+3 in all applications, AS PER CHRYSLER.

·
Registered
108 Posts
2000TC is right on this one.

My personal experience on this issue: Way back when, Chrysler issued a TSB saying ATF+4 was pretty much the standard except for "1999 and older minivans with the 4 speed automatic." In 2003 or so, I did a tranny service/flush on my 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager and used ATF+3 as per the owner's manual. Back then, ATF+3 was plentiful at auto parts stores but NOT at Chrysler dealers.

Fast forward to today. A new TSB says to go ahead and use the "reformulated" ATF+4 for the 1999 and older minivans. I wasn't convinced so I went to the auto parts stores in search of ATF+3 and couldn't find any! Long story short-I sold the Grand Voyager before doing the tranny service. By the way, never had any issues with this tranny.

My .02--if you find any ATF+3 out there, use it. Otherwise, ATF+4 it is!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
There was possibly a seal incompatibility problem with the older tyranny's (pre-2000) and the ATF+4 formulation. That was a reported DC engineer's opinion, about the time ATF+4 was released. I used to be concerned but there hasn't been an increase in pre-2000 tranny failures after using ATF+4 that I am aware of.
If your older tranny was recently rebuilt, it was done with seals that are fully compatible with ATF+4, so that is a non-issue. You will be alright using ATF+4. It is a superior fluid to the ATF+3 as it lasts longer and is less susceptible to heat damage.

If you want your rebuilt tranny to last, putting on an additional large stack plate cooler will do more than any other mod I am aware of. Installation of a shift kit also helps to reduce the long clutch pack destroying shifts that ruin those parts.

Make sure the re-builder does all the updates, uses Kevlar clutches, and puts in the output shaft pin lockers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, that is what I needed to know. A more educated phone call to the nearest dealer also confirmed this. Apparently the +4 replaced a few different trans fluids.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
webbee said:
Make sure the re-builder does all the updates, uses Kevlar clutches, and puts in the output shaft pin lockers.
Are there any specific updates I should mention, or where to find out about them? It is a large reputable transmission shop doing the work, but they do a lot of big truck stuff and I dont know how familiar they would be with chrysler issued updates on passenger cars.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wish I had the TSB's to give you, but I don't. I know from reading forums that there have been many updates for these transmissions. Most of these have been incorporated into the rebuild packs the re-builders use. Kevlar clutches are an upgrade option, as are the pin lockers. Some re-builders use this stuff and others don't due to the extra cost. The best consistent rebuild is from DC, a bit pricey, guaranteed 3 years. Check you local dealer for current pricing.

Here are some URL's I've collected related to the tyranny's, which may give you additional info:

Makco Parts

ATSG Rebuild/Update Manual On E-bay

Chrysler FWD Transmissions Info

4 Speed Auto Tranny Issues

Snapdragons Rebuild Pics A604/41TE

I haven't done biz with any of these guys, so this isn't an endorsement of any of them. I have used the ATSG manuals in the past and I will recommend the manuals as a source of great info, if you are doing the rebuild yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.