Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's I need your help please!
I'm having problems with my tranny. :VHOT: I'm towing a 35FT 5er and any time I haul my trailer to the mountains my tranny over heats. I'm not talking hauling up 6% grades either maybe 3% max. Once I start the grade my speeds drop as low as 10mph seem like I have NO power at all! The tranny while shifting gears will buck real bad. With in 5-7 mile my TRANS TEMP light is on and I'm pulled over waiting for it to cool down. The fluid smells burnt! I've taken it to the dealer once already they said there was not any problems they could detect they said the bucking was shift shock and recommended I tow only in Drive with TOW/HAUL selected. I had the fluid and filter changed and a larger trans cooler installed. Now its happened again. Am I hauling to much trailer for my 1 ton? Should I tow up grades in 4WD? or Do I just have a bad tranny? How much weight are any of you guy's hauling in the mountains with your rigs?
I could really use your :help: !

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I'm gonna guess here, but you probably fried your tranny with your Bully Dog. What setting do you have the BD on while you are towing?

·
Registered
307 Posts
my guess would be your programmer fried the tranny also. It should not be overheating at all especially with the larger cooler. How many miles on it?

on a side note, did you know you have Cummins spelt CumminGs in you sig?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I only use the Tow/Econo setting, and there 15K on the truck. I also have a DTC P1932 code, does anyone know what that is?

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had/have tranny issue too - while towing my ww le33 (i'm guessing that it's about 12.5-13k lbs fully loaded)... anyway, while going uphill - the tranny went south... after paying the dealer 400+ duckets in tranny service and still haven't solved the problem... they decided to rebuild it (under warrantee). i haven't towed since then but i have a bad feeling that i have a lemon for a tranny in my tow rig :mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have towed my 07 LE3305 5th warrior up to flagstaff twice 7-8% grades and once to vegas with no issues so far. tranny does run around 190-210 degrees loaded with a outside temp of at least 110. tranny seems to feel ok i just ordered a extra capacity pan. 06 3500 4x4 4.10's 48re,ctd,ride rites,2" leveling kit,srw

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my truck to the dealer and they are rebuilding the tranny under warranty. That's the good news! They obviously can't detect the Bully Dog I had installed (returned to stock setting prior to servicing). But I still don't know if my 1 ton trans can handle my 35ft trailer. I'm thinking of installing a MAG-HYTEC tranny pan and the ATS torque converter to handle things! But the dealer warned me about voiding my warranty if I installed those after market parts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my dealer told me it was ok to put deeper pan in but im sure the t/c would void the warranty. have you gone over some scales to see what you weigh loaded ? im going down to buttercup this weekend with 2 700 raptors & 2 LT-450's & a full tank of water i will be weighing in at the loves in gila blend just to see what the weight is...

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
ATS converter ($1500) and a Valve Body (500) will be a night and day difference.

i have no problem pulling 12k up a 7% grade in overdrive at 70 and keeping my tranny cool, even when i had the Bullydog on the performance setting. Something was definitely wrong. Hopefully a rebuild will do something for you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.