DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and this is my first post. I have a 2001 4.7 durango SLT. We bought it in 03 with 67,000 miles on it and we currently have 107,000. I live in Alaska and will be driving to move to Las Vegas in about 3 weeks. We have a trailer that we will tow and it will be approx 5K lbs for 3500 miles.

Tranny problem.........

The trans temp light goes on at all different times.....when I first crank or after hours on the road.........what does this light mean?

Also I have noticed a delay in the shifting between 2nd and 3rd at about 37 mph.

I am worried that driving out of Alaska we will be in no mans land for long periods of time on bad roads and no mechanics LOL So I am looking for advice on how to check out this tranny before we hit the road. We have very limited resources up here.......Any advice would be great

:help: Thanks~

Road Trip

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Did you check the fluid level? What did the fluid look like?

Have you serviced the tranny at the proper intervals? When was the last fluid/filter change? Have you flushed the fluid?

I would advise getting this checked asap since you have a long trip planned, while your resources may be limited now, a failure enroute can cost several times more than getting it fixed now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we had a flush done in June and have kept up with the service. Just never had a straight answer on the trans temp light. We have had a few people tell us that getting it flushed is part of the problem that the new fluid is bad for a tran w/ 107k on it! Is that true?

Thanks

Road Trip :rck:

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
if you have not flushed the system on a regular basis (every 30K miles), a flush can indeed bring on problems. The issue has to do with the flush knocking loose sludge that has built up over long periods.

If you have particles of sludge that have been dislodged they can interfere with the fluid flow thru the tranny valve body causing shifting problems like you have. Often the only way to resolve these problems is to rebuild the tranny. This process will likely take a week in a tranny shop, so quick action may be in order.

Have you recently checked the trans fluid level and condition of the fluid? If it is full and looks good (clean reddish color, not brown, burnt, or full of particles), then the problem is possibly due to crud lodged somewhere in the bowels of the valvebody.

If you have a problem with trans temp, you may still have blockages, but dont disregard high temps in a tranny too long. High temps are a great way to kill trannies, engines, diffs, etc..

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
depending on who did it, it might have been done at all. drop the pan and change the filter and throw some ATF4. what did they put in????

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Yeah, check if they put ATF4 in-- that's the only fluid that's right for these transmissions (though I've heard of people using premium stuff like redline).

Also, the fact that the temp light comes on when you first start the truck sounds like you might have a problem with the sender, not the tranny (it obviously isn't overheated when you first start it up). The shift problem could be as simple as the bands being out of adjustment.

Also, you may want to add a tranny cooler if you're doing all that towing.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
4.7 L tranny doesn't have bands.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
canyonD said:
4.7 L tranny doesn't have bands.
Right. For some reason I thought he had a 99.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.