DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, This is my first time here and really hope someone out there can help. Here is what I have. I purchased a used 02 durango. It had 31k miles. 360 engine, with towing package, tranny cooler.I am unsure what axel ratio it has. It now has 51K.
Anyway, About a month ago I was cruising down interstate at 65mph when tranny detonated. To my surprise it dropped into 2nd gear. Fun ride. brought to dealer, Thank god for extended warranties. Tech showed me the tranny fluid with chunks of metal and all. Quite impressive. Dealer put in a reman tranny from a company named C and K auto from California. Got truck back drove it 25 Miles, tranny detonated a 2nd time. Same day I received it. and no that is not a mis print. I drove a total of 25 miles on the 2nd Tranny. Not happy but wait it gets better. I have bad luck any ways and get use to things like this happening to me. Brought back to dealer next day. Tech looks at it and says to me "Hum Trannys gone". So Order another one, that's #2 for those of you counting. Put that one in. I drove 300 miles.... and guess what. Tranny gone again. same as the last one and the first one. chunks of metal in the fluid. So let me recap quickly. 1 month in time, approximately 325 miles total, and 3 transmissions. Warranty company, dealer, and myself quite upset. I am being told that the tranny cooler is holding pieces of metal and when I drive they are being flushed back into the new tranny. Dealer tells me that is BS because they are doing a flush of the system. Now I have been checking in with private mechanics and tranny "experts" One guy told me about a Check valve located on the outlet side of the cooler. He says it is either stuck closed or clogged. I should have it removed or replaced. He removes them. Now that you have my last months story here is the million dollar question. Can the cooler cause this? Can I remove the check valve? can check valve cause tranny detonation. sorry about the long winded thread, But I figure I would put all the info I could.
This is a family vehical, I do not go 4 wheeling, or any fun stuff like put in reverse then jam drive. I do tow a small utility trailer with a max of 2250 Lb.
Any body got any ideas? please no move dodge jokes I have heard more then I care to already.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
#1 your dealer is full of SH!T for saying you're breaking them.

#2 you want to keep the check valve in, I believe it prevents over-cooling of the trans fluid by closing the circuit until it reaches an acceptable temp.

The cooler could be retaining chips etc yes. Now I have no idea why you're having these problems. The transmissions aren't great but they are NOT THAT bad.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
On the other hand, the return line from the cooler goes directly into the pan where the magnet and filter should take the chips out.

I'm going to have to say it's just bad luck really. Are you sure they're giving you a new trans and not just rebuilding yours? Maybe you should mark the one that's on there now with your name or something using a paint marker?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks
They are suppose to put in a reman tranny #3, a new cooler, and replace the check valve. Other then that I can think of no good reason for all the trannies to go. I would not call myself a mechanic but other then the torque converter, tranny and the cooler there are no other parts that can hold debris. The entire system is suppose to be flushed out. Maybe # 4 is a charm. If not, Anyone interested in a 02 Durango with low miles? It's got a new tranny ;-)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sounds like to me the dealer, ie mechanic is not really flushing out the lines, cooler. So basically you have an install issue. I can't believe you'd have 2 bad reman tranny's. Replacing the cooler should take care of things...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh, Beleive me I know about the blame game. I have been told that I am towing to much with the truck?? It has a 7300lb towing capacity and my 4' X 8' trailer that carries all of 2250lb is destroying the trannies. Thanks for the input. Hopfully this will be the one to fix my problems. I love my dodge, It has been almost 2 months since I have been able to drive it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a new problem for you. Had 3 tranny installed still running rough. These are issues that happen sporadically. On take off sounds like there is a bowling ball in the back, it rolls back and goes clunk. When slowing down for a stop at about 20MPH there is a clunk when it down shifts. at 50mph when in overdrive it has a growling sound until you get to 60mph or so. I had an error code of P0601 after newest tranny installed. This is the PCM and on my truck it actuates the 3 shifting solenoids. I have the 360 motor, that was replaced by Dodge dealer. still have noises. Today I have a new error code of P1757 which is the pressure sensor for the tranny. Question: Is this truck just systematically shutting down getting ready to die? or could there be some other issue causing all of my problems? Or am I just a shlep rock with the inverse luck of the Irish?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.