DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my truck in 4HI today because there were some pretty fair snow banks in the road. When I shifted out of 4HI Lock everything was fine. I put the truck in park to load something in the back and when I put it into drive again it lurched ahead pretty hard. Within a few seconds the check engine light came on. When I pulled away it took almost 2500 RPM's just to move the truck. I stopped and put the steering column into neutral, then the transfer case into neutral. Then I put the transfer case back into 4X4 and shifted the steering column back into drive. Again the lurch forward and it still needs higher RPM's to start going. Once I am going it is fine. I put everything in neutral because it felt as if I wasn't getting a good gear mesh, like I was slipping. I am getting no noise or smell. When I got home I checked the code and it is P0700 (Ground Circuit Open, TCM Internal Error). What's the next step? Is it a HUGE problem? Am I hurting my tranny driving it like this?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
po700 is a generic code and really tells you nothing in specific. What you cold do is make sure the transfer case is in 2wd low and then go in reverse for about 5 feet then go forward. Clear the code and then check your transfer case, front differential, and transmission fluid level. Don't forget to check the tranny level with the rango on a level surface with the engine running and the shift indicator in neutral. If you have a quart or so low in the tranny that could make that light pop up.

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any 2WD options. Only 4LO, Neutral, 4X4, and 4HI.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
well did u check your tranny fluid!

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
It sounds like you have a code besides the PO700 one,putting the transmission in "limp mode" (starting off in a higher gear than first,hence the 2500 RPM rev up to get it going). You need to get it scanned with a better scanner,

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fluid in the transmission is good, both level and colour. I have an appointment today with the shop. Should know more by 9:00am. I have suspected that I was starting off in second gear, but what is "Limp Mode"?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Roadblock said:
I have suspected that I was starting off in second gear, but what is "Limp Mode"?
Starting out in second gear.
;)

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The second code stored in the TCM was "Incorrect gear ratio in 1st gear". They dropped the pan and there are metal pieces inside. I told them to pull it out and give it a good look over. By the sound of the code it indicates the failure was with first gear. Can they fix just that area or will it most likely involve the whole thing? They will have it apart and know the whole picture tomorrow.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
How big of metal pieces,you gotta pic?

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't have a camera with me but they were not shavings but pieces. Some were about the size of small chocolate chips, but were not 3 dimensional but were flat. Almost like piston ring material.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
That can't be good!

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just reading that the 45rfe is bandless. I wonder what the outcome will be.. I will be shopping for a rebuilt or wrecker tranny just to see how the prices compare. I really don't want a wrecker tranny but I will have to see what the wallet will allow. So far I owe the shop $350 for the R/R of the unit, I guess they won't charge extra if I were to give them another one to put in instead of the old one..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
RB:

How many miles on your D, and have you have the tranny serviced every 30k per the OEM schedule??

That's kind of strange that your 45rfe is having issues. I have seen alot of folks having problems with their 44 and 46 re trannies. But, not near as many with the 45.

Hopefully your bill will not be to bad.

Don

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just over 90,000 miles. I serviced everything regularly. The transmission guy said today that it is shot (big surprise). He said metal was in the torque converter and there are numerous damaged parts. He has sent out the list of parts required (including new torque converter) and will have an estimate tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
RB:

Sorry to hear that the diagnosis is not pretty. Hopefully they will give you a good warranty on the rebuild. I am not a tranny guru, but have heard that when metal comes loose and gets around inside, it's pretty much time to start fresh.

Being a 2000 model, the 45rfe and 4.7 combo were new that year. Kind of makes you think that yours might have been flawed as an early unit, but it did last 7yrs/90k.

Don

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE :

Transmission to be rebuilt, should be ready on Friday (Today). Called today, "When we road tested the vehicle we lost communcation to the TCM, we are backprobing it to see why the power is not reaching the unit." AND now they are closed until Monday! So I dropped it off at 5:00 am Tuesday and I MAY get it back on Monday. Any opinions? Do you think this guy may be playing games with me?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Did you go by the shop or call? If you called,he just might be buying some time.

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called. But what would he be buying time for? Also, I checked the website and they should be open from 8:00 to noon on Saturday.. Why would he say they weren't?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Buying time because it isn't working right.

" Also, I checked the website and they should be open from 8:00 to noon on Saturday.. Why would he say they weren't?"
It's Christmas Weekend!

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So if I went there at say 10:00am and they were there working and my truck was outside or off in a corner somewhere would I be out of line if I punched him in the face? Hypothetically speaking of course.. And why would Saturday be a day off as Christmas weekend? Wouldn't you give Sunday, Monday, and then Tuesday as the Christmas weekend?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.