DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just bought my truck, everything is perfect except the tranny pan. It is really rusted I knew it was when I bought it. I hear they rust really easlly. So I am looking for a new pan. My question is whats is the difference between aftermarket pans and stock? Also where and which pans are recommended?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh i like that one. Does it help the transmission to have a higher capacity pan than stock? I hear about people getting them but hear heard a real reason.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
Yes. They hold about three more quarts than stock and have a magnetic drainplug.
Tactransman hooked me up with one over a year ago through another site. Great pan.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
the summit/ deral steel pan over a deep aluminum. is there a preference and why?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
The Summit/Derale pan actually has cooling tubes in the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
i realize these 46re suffer from pressure drops but hadnt herd they over heat chronically.

·
redrider02
114 Posts
what about the clearance between the skid plate? The stock pan is very close. Unless you made some kind of spacer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't have a skid plate for mine, if i had one ide take it off and sell it i don't do any off road stuff. the most off road i get is snow on the road. if i needed it i would drop it an inch under the bottom of the pan.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
Here is a picture of my Derale pan. No clearance problems. (Non offroad)

Attachments

·
redrider02
114 Posts
It looks nice,but I like steal(tin) better because it will take more abuse . If the alumnium pan got bumped buy a rock or a rock flew out from a tire. You could loose your fluid real fast. Causeing the transmission to ruin.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
The Darale in the picture is steel. It's zink coated. :party09:

·
redrider02
114 Posts
Wise choice. It looked like alumium. Sorry about that. Please accept my apology.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whered you get the pan? how much ore fluid does it take?

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
It takes three extra quarts to fill now. Tactransman directed me to it at http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Default.asp but, I don't see a listing for it on the site anymore. :huh:

Johnnyreb, no need to apologize. It's all good. :tup:

·
Be Cool!
985 Posts
I've got a Mag-Hytec pan that I really like.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
The Mag Hytec's are probably the best out there,but they ain't cheap!

·
redrider02
114 Posts
Since you put this pan on your transmission. Did and do you have a transmission temperature on your truck. And if so--how much cooler is the transmission is running?

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
My '96 has a 4/6 drop , Will this pan work or is to deep?

If not do you know of a aftermarket that's not so deep? :help:
Double quote.

That's my pan, only, now it comes black and it's $40.00 more.
I just looked under my truck and the pan sits about 1 1/2" below the frame and about 1 1/2" above the skidplate on a 4X4.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.