DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a stock MTX in a 98 R/T. I am having trouble with the clutch, and a fellow shade tree mechanic told me to go with a dual friction stage two or three clutch, one that will hold up to 300hp. While I am in there I plan on changing the fluid as well and maybe the half shafts. He strongly suggests this fluid, I don't know the name off the top of my head, but its some purple stuff at $10.00 a qt. All of the posts and threads I have read thus far state to use Mopar specific fluids. So the qwerstion is? Should I go with another stock clutch if I plan on an SRT motor in the near future or should I upgrade now and then too? The other qwerstion being is, is that purple stuff any good for the Neon MTX?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy a CenterForce or SPEC clutch. Clutchmasters clutches seem to be good quality, as is any clutch combo bought from clutchnet. You can also have an SRT-4 clutch modified to fit in the NV-T350 bellhousing (that is, work with your transmission). I have a stock SRT clutch, 1,200 miles on it. They have been known to hold up to 340lb/ft at the wheels in 1st Gen neons, modification costs $100 plus shipping (I do not modify them, but I know who does). I plan to list my used SRT clutch for sale for $150 shipped sometime soon.

As far as fluid goes, I would use either the Mopar NV-T350 specific fluid, or a high end synthetic that meets specs (i.e. lots of friction modifier for the paper friction synchros). Pennzoil Syncromesh or Redline MTL work well (so I've heard).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.