DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rolled her over 140,000 miles. I've had thoughts about taking her to the local shop and having them hook up the machines that completely flush the transmission while the trucks running. Of course since its a 5 speed manual there's no filters to change, & I'm definately putting synthetic back in so I will no longer have to worry about it. Will it be worth having the transmission flushed or will I be opening a big can of worms & replacing the transmission in the near future???

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
:huh:
I wouldn't do that. There's no way to be certain the proper level is being kept. It would be like changing the engine oil or even the power steering fluid while the engine's running...probably charge you for an extra gallon or 2 to "be sure we got a good flush"[email protected] $16/qt synthetic.:tdwn:
I drained mine with the drain plug & refilled it through the top bolt hole of the PTO cover on mine at home with Amsoil synthetic. It shifts better and produces no noise.

If you don't have time to do it then call a general repair shop and schedule a regular transmission lube change then drive it a little while before arriving so it'll be warm when they start draining it...it'll drain quicker and more complete. Be sure to have your owner's manual so they can see what correct weight synthetic gear lube to put back in it..
Oh yeah, Amsoil synthetic gear lubes are 100% compatable with regular gear lube.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Exactly right. It's an easy job to do in the driveway and not too expensive to have it done by a shop. That Amsoil is some good stuff too! I noticed a big difference when I made the change to full synthetic. Like Clunk said, smoother shifts and a quiet running trans. It's great in the differentials and t-case too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kinda leaning toward changing it myself, but I don't have a small pump and it's kinda in a bad place to pour in the new fluid. I'll look for Amsoil, I'm 100% sure that she will get synthetic back in her. Thanks fellas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.