DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time to change the fluid and filters in my 07 ram. How much fluid do I need?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I just did a pan drop, filters change in mine at 100,458 miles for the first time tonight. I was surprised how little powder was on the magnet and around the pan. No particles or glitter. Not much to wipe out at all. I used a very little screwdriver to very gently tap under the lip of the filter seal and very gently pry it out. It looks fragile in there. Then very gently tap the new one in with a wooden dowel. Anyhoot, it took a couple of hours and right at 6.5 quarts. The Pro King filter kit from AdvanceAutoParts came with a new filter seal and rubber gasket.

·
Silverhemidan
3,277 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, If it warms up I'll get it done this week

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
My drop 'n' drain took right at seven quarts, changing both filters. A bearing puller is a decent investment, as is a torque wrench. Use a plastic chisel to separate the pan from the tranny so you don't hurt the aluminum housing. Some folks use just the gasket on reassembly -- I used the gasket and a thin bead of RTV. Be aware: this is a messy job. Make sure you have lotsa newspaper under the catch-pan. DIY will save you a fair amount of change (for Obama).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll do it myself because I don't want to leave it at the damn dealership for 2 days and who knows what they'll screw up by the time I get it back.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I used a concrete mixing pan from Home Depot. Plenty big enough to catch all four sides of the trans pan splash and shallow enough to slide under my 4X2 truck without raising it up. Then I poured that into my round 15qt oil pan and then funneled back into some empty Mobil-1 gallon jugs I had from a previous oil change. The change was good and now I'm looking forward to the next four years and 200k miles.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The aftermarket units come with a drain plug which is so nice.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's genius! I wonder why they don't put drain plugs on more pans. The gas tank on my '59 had a drain plug, damn that was handy!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Just stay away from those power flushes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's a power flush?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.