DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. It's time for a fluid change, so I'm wondering if any of you know od a way to evacuate as much as possible - including the converter - without dropping the tranny.
Reason? I'm planning on switching from the standard ATF+3 to AMSOIL's "Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid" which meets or exceeds both ATF+3 & ATF+4 specs and I don't want any of the old petroleum stuff mixing with the new synthetic.
2. I'm also considering installing a shift kit at the same time. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The only way I know of without a flush machine is to use the transmission's own pump(I've done this and it goes pretty quickly).

Things you need:

1) About 6 feet of transmission hose (just get the cheap stuff)

2) A fitting that will connect the hose to the transmission cooler return near the radiator-- this should be the fitting that connects in series after the cooler so you'll flush out the cooler as well.

3) Old milk bottles marked in 1 quart increments. You can have enough on hand to collect all the fluid, or you can use one and empty it into another container when it fills up.

4) Something to measure out one quart of ATF at a time-- I used one of those graduated funnels that have a built in twist valve b/c I was going from gallon containers of ATF, if you use 1 qt containers, your set.

5) of course you need new transmission fluid, new filter wrenches, etc.

Here's what you do:

Do a transmission pan drop, clean everything up, new filter, adjust bands if you want, then fill the pan with ATF (5 qts). Now the pan is full of new ATF.

Attach the transmission hose to the output from the tranny cooler at the front and run it along the floor to one of the milk jugs placed where you can watch it while standing outside the driver's window. Support the milk jug so it doesn't fall over when it

Put the truck in Neutral and start the engine (reaching in through the driver's window). Old ATF will begin to flow into the milk jug, when it reaches 1 qt, turn off the engine and add 1 qt of new ATF to the transmission.

Repeat this until you have pumped out all of the old ATF. Unfortunately you can't avoid some mixing in the torque converter, but this will clear out almost all of the old fluid. If you really want to be thorough then run about 1/2 gallon more than the capacity of the tranny through it. (This doesn't mean that there should be 1/2 gallon more in it at any time-- just repeat the pump and fill routine for a few more quarts than capacity and it will further dilute any old ATF remaining.)

When I did this, it was very easy and very successful. The old fluid was looking pretty bad and I could really see when the bright red stuff started flowing out.

Again there will be some mixing, but not much.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.