DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the weather gets cold I have issues with the trans slipping when drive is engaged at first start up. If I let it sit for about 30-60 secs it takes off okay.
I have had the trans serviced twice. Once at 48,000 and in April at 99,000 filtes and fluid were replaced by trans shop.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
When services performed on trans, was it a drop and fill or did they "flush" system? Did it start after cold season began after the service done or was it slipping before either of the 2 services?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have to look at the records. I think they changed filters and replaced the fluid. I really did not like the idea of the chemical flush and fill where they don't replace the filters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have to look at the records. I think they changed filters and replaced the fluid. I really did not like the idea of the chemical flush and fill where they don't replace the filters.
Well my receipt shows they only replaced 1 filter. How many are there? 3?

·
Registered
439 Posts
What trans is this?

·
AKA - Todd in Ripon, CA
29 Posts
I am having a similar slipping issue. Seems like the tranny just doesn't engage when the truck is being started with a cold engine/fluids.

I took mine in to that Aa*** place yesterday and without ever putting it on the computer to check for pending codes (they will do it for free I was told), I was rewarded with a "Yeah... you're gonna need your transmission rebuilt."

Guys, I looked at the fluid. Looked nearly new. No burned smell. No large or worrisome build up of shavings on the pan magnet. The guy at the shop tells me though that he sees brass shavings and that I have something like 22 brass bushings in the trans and that means that my transmission is eating itself.

Asked me for $1,800 to $3,500 to rebuild the tranny..... :nono

Had read on another forum that there may be issues with the valve body. That is something like $500 I think they said.

NEEDLESS TO SAY... I am very interested in further responses on here and I am also going for a second opinion.

As a closing note, I heard the mechanic in the garage tell the guy - you know... the one trying to get in my pocket - that there were no pending codes for the transmission so if my trans was really trying to eat itself, wouldn't there at least be a pending code?

EDIT: Transmission is a 545RFE and had 2 filters (one screw in and one flat)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine does the same thing in cold weather. I have 101k on it now and bought it with 45k. Every winter like clockwork, the trans is slugish when cold. I let the truck sit and warm up so the fluids get a chance to circulate. I have the trans serviced yearly and normally put 17k on it. My work car is an 06 charger and it has the same cold natured issues. I just chalked it up to not being cold natured beasts....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to talk to one of the most popular trans shops in town and they said I was crazy and that does not happen with Dodge trucks and if it did I would get a CODE....
:thatfunny

Left the truck with them and when I stopped by this morning they were like, uh err well I uh....Dumb asses told me there was no spin on filter and they think I'm the idiot? :crazy:

Told them I would just service my transmission myself and will not pay anyone to touch it again.:rck:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.