DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time I used Mopar fluid with a filer change, now the shifts feel a bit different. In the past I have always used someone elses +3 or +4. Which fluid is the best, aftermarket or mopar's?...

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
It is all the same as long as it is +3 or +4..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is all mopar atf 3 and 4+, is that the only fluid all mopar auto tranny's call for?....

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
ATF+3/+4 is Chrysler specific and generally can be found with yellow caps on the bottles to distinguish it from Ford/GM/Import fluids. Any aftermarket synthetic that meets the ATF+3/4 specifications will also work; such as Amsoil ATF and Royal Purple ATF (there are others as well). Depending on your location, ATF+4 can be cheaper at local auto part stores than purchasing it from the dealer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya that's cool, what I wanted to know is 3+ and 4+ the only fluid for mopar auto trannies, is there only one "mopar" atf? If the bottle is "mopar" brand fluid it is 3 or 4+..?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It should be marked ATF+3 or ATF+4. :gr_patrio

·
Learning Grasshopper
54 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Okay, So which is better? Synthetic Universal ATF AMS OIL brand or Mopar AFT-4? I know AMSOIL Company is the first Synthetic before any companies like Mopar AFT-4. I dont know all the details which one is better and the history of synthetic technology.

Of course, Morpar ATF-4 is much cheaper then AMS Synthetic AFT.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If I tell you to use Amsoil Universal ATF them I am being subjective. If someone else tells you to use Royal Purple then they are being subjective. What I suggest you do is read up on the different brands and make that decision. Also price is higher for the brands I mentioned but also the change interval is longer so it kind of balances out. See if any shops use either or whatever brand you think you want. Get their opinion. Again remember what they say is subjective. But again they use it all the time and in their experience it works well. Also they buy it in bulk so they may be using it because they got a good price on it and they can mark it up for a better profit. I personally use the Amsoil and go for the extended drain intervals.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Okay, Just that I want my truck last long long time. I think Amsoil Universal ATF is better product and quality of Synthetic. Is Full flush neccesary or semi flush if putting new Amsoil ATF Synthetic?

2004 Reg/C 1500 4.7 5spd auto
3.92/8 foot box.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just loosen the pan to drain it. After it stops dripping finish removing the pan which by the way is still holding some fluid so be careful. Drain remaing fluid in pan into a whatever you are using to drain the fluid in. Clean gasket surface area. Remove old filter and install new one. Replace pan and tighten the pan bolts. Now I don't know the torque specs of the pan bolts right off hand. You will have to look them up. Now some of the old fluid is trapped above the valve body. If you feel confident you can remove the valve body and drain the remaining fluid. If not then just add new fluid until system is full on the dipstick. The new fluid will mix with the remaining old fluid. This how most shops do it. I would not recommend flushing especially if you have high mileage on the truck and trans. Could cause any old junk(sludge) to clog up a fluid passage causing overheating and then you will need a rebuild.

·
Registered
329 Posts
we are getting in to whats better Wendys or Burgerking

its pretty much what ever fluid you wanna get some people have good luck with different fluids some dont then it comes to what money do you wanna pay $15 a qt or $5 same stuff that the truck calls for different name and different stuff added to it

i had a friend that took his truck in to the shop every 70,000 to get a full tranny fluid swap and filter change his truck is pushing 400k got it used with 50k on it its a 1998 2500 5.9L 4 wheel drive tranny

had another friend that did the same thing with his 2000 5.9L 1500 4 wheel drive took it in to the dealer every 80k his tranny blew up around 235-237 some where around there

both trannys were auto

same fluid same dealer same trannys why did one last longer than the other? dont know for sure but driving style and condition has alot to do with it

so id say read up on the fluid and pick what you wanna go with dont ask us to tell you what to put in YOUR truck

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Wendy's is definitely better! :D

·
Learning Grasshopper
54 Posts
:metoo: Wendy's is waaay better

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
It's the additives (Ketchup, Mayo, Mustard.) that breakdown mostly due to temperature.
These are friction modifiers, detergents and anti-foam agents. When detergents breakdown the transmission gets dirty, then add new and the sludge is free and the varnish on the seals comes off causing internal leaks. Friction modifiers keep the shifts from chattering, mostly torque converter lockup as it's the largest clutch engaged during low load situations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.