DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 18 foot dovetail car trailer and I want to add a winch to haul up cars as needed.

I'm thinking of a 3k winch, but I'm wondering what's the best way to hook it up. I need a battery for a break away switch, so I'm thinking about using a deep cycle and hooking the winch up to it. Will it have enough juice to winch up a car? Also how can I charge the battery from the truck?

Or should I just wire up the winch to the truck with some #2 or #4 wire and quick connectors.

I don't have a tow package, so I have to wire up the brake controller myself, so I'll be running wires anyway... The trailer has a 7 pin connector and I'm getting a 2 in one 4 pin/7 pin connector. One of the pins is for a charge circuit. What wire size should I use?

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't know, but would like to see some pictures of what you end up doing and how well it works.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've worked out a plan... Lets hope it works... :)

I'm going to run an Odyssey PC625 battery on the trailer to power a Viper Max 4500 ATV winch. That battery will also be used to power the break away brakes. I'm going to get a cheap solar charger for when the trailer sits, but when I'm towing it'll charge off the charge wire. Any time it gets too low I'll just pull out the big house charger and top it off.

For the charge wire I'm going to use some #10 and a 30a circuit breaker so it will reset if the charge draw is too high.

I'll post some pictures. I picked up a couple more D rings that I'm going to weld on the rear to help with tying down and a new jack. The old one is majorly rusted inside and I thought I wasn't going to be able to retract it when I took the trailer home. I'm still waiting for tires to come in too...

It'll be a little bit, but it'll be nice when it's done. Here's a picture as is. Notice the magnetic lights because I didn't have a 7-pin connector :)

One thing I want to figure out is where to put the winch. There's a bar going from the tongue to the round cross bar that'll have to get moved if I want to mount the winch off the deck. I may just put it on the deck up next to the round cross bar. Any ideas?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts