DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 98 quad cab Diesel and was wondering if i could get the newer style trailer tow mirrors to work on it. the stock ones are way to small. I know the 2002 2500s have this style, will they just bolt right up?

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
i know they look very much alike and there is a possibility, your best bet would be to take yours off and see if you could find a 3gen in the junk yard to compare it to.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The 2002 2nd GEN Trailer Tow mirrors were manual mirrors (no power / no heat). They will indeed bolt up to your 2nd GEN.

The 3rd GEN Trailer Tow mirrors (with power and heat) will not directly bolt up to a 2nd GEN truck. If you want the OEM style 3rd GEN mirrors w/power & heat, you'll need a set of 2nd GEN housings and a set of 3rd GEN "guts" to do the swap.....and that could run into some $$$$$'s. You'll also need to do a little manipulating on the wiring harness as well. A couple of guys over on the TDR site have done it with success.

If it were me, I'd buy some CIPA style mirrors like a friend of mine in IN has :

Greg

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones on ebay are they the power or manual, how much more would it be to make them power. And do the vibrate alot not being power?

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
they're not power but you can't buy power and/or heated ones for a 2nd gen. They don't make them. No vibration here, once they're set they stay put very well. Now I'm not going to tell you that you can't make power ones work on a 2nd gen truck because you can. BUT, it takes 2 pairs of mirrors. A 2nd gen tow mirror set and a 3rd gen power/heated tow mirror set. I thought about it but thats too much money to spend just for power/heat when I never used the heat and once they're set I never used the power function on my old regular mirrors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.