DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really confused about the 04 1500 I just bought. It looked like it had the factory towing package, factory hitch, 7 pin connector in bumper, but nothing worked back there. I took a quick look under the truck and here are 4 pin connectors hanging down, both truck and trailer ends, if I plug them in to each other then almost everything works. The harness looks factory, but has butt splices everywhere around the 4 pin connectors. Also there is a seperate wire run very cheesy to the battery via a 20A fuse for the trailer hot pin, but there is a fuse already there for it in the main fuse box and it's hot at both sides, however if I remove the add on fuse, I lose 12V at the trailer. And my brake controller from my 98 plugged right in to the connector under the dash, have power to the controller, but none to the trailer brakes. Does this sound like someone just butchered the factory harness for some reason, or did they add the harness and make it that screwed up ??? It's so screwed up that it looks like it would be easier for me to buy a factory 7 pin harness and just start over. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure now if it came with the towing package, there is nothing mentioned on the sticker in the glove box. I took for granted it did because of the blue connector under the dash and all the fuses being in place. Does Mopar sell a 7 pin harness so I could correct all this mess ?? Also where is the brake output wire end up after it leaves the blue connector if there was no towing package ?? Thanks.

·
15,912 Posts
I am not sure if Mopar sells a harness. There was someone that had mentioned that the harness at the 7-pin went to another connection I think somewhere near the drivers side wheel well....something like that....lemme look for the thread and I will post a link to help you out.

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
sounds like a mopar kit dealer installed. would explain the 20a seperate fuse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand why they added a seperate fuse instead of using the existing fuse for the trailer supply in the fuse box. Also I still need to figure out how to tie in the trailer brake wire and get rid of all the butt splices around the 4 pin connectors. I always use a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter anyway when towing things with the 4 pin.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ordered my 7 pin harness from the stealership and it does not plug in anywhere besides with the flat 4. It came with an inline fuse near the battery etc. but it is all plug and play. simple to install but was expensive. works great!!!!

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Check out my thread below. I installed a 7-pin plug from OReillys, it was only like $6. I spliced into the factory 4 pin and wrapped everything in wire loom. I only installed the additional reverse light, not the brake wire or 12V from the battery.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244368

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I ended up scrapping the Mopar connector and all the wiring someone else did. I purchased a 7 / 4 pin connector from Advance that fit in the factory hole and ran all new wire and loom and ran the 12V wire to the factory fuse for the trailer power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts