DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more question.
Just got a 25 foot RV 5th wheel tandem axle.

Do I need trailer brakes for my '05 2500 diesel in California?

Thanks

17,103 Posts
theGerman said:
One more question.

Thanks
As far as what you "need" is dependent on the DOT laws for your state.

Are you asking if you need to install trailer brakes on your 5th wheel, because it probably already has them installed, or are you asking if you need to use them by hooking up a brake controller?

If your trailer has brakes, you need to hook them up using the brake controller. It is safest way to travel with your trailer.

· Registered
285 Posts
I can't imagine that any 5th wheel trailer wouldn't come with trailer brakes.

Get a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. It's the best moderately priced brake controller.

Don't bother with splicing wires to the pigtail that came with your truck. Just look on eBay and get the plug and play wiring harness for Dodge trucks and Tekonsha brake controllers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEKO...165318455QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170165318455

Without a brake controller, your trailer brakes don't work. You can't just rely on the truck's brakes.

· Registered
410 Posts
theGerman said:
One more question.

Thanks
Straight from Califormia DMV, about half way down the page. Anything greater than 1500lbs. That's the same requirement as here in Oregon.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt12.htm

· Registered
36,020 Posts
States vary from 1500 to 2500 pounds but no matter where you go, you will need brakes on a 25 footer because you will definately be above the 2500 pounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.