DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should be here or in general but here goes...

1.) I'm thinking about installing a trailer brake controller to pull my parents' camper for them. My truck (07 quad cab) didn't come with
the factory tow package, but they installed the package before I picked the truck up. At first they only put one of those universal (Hoppy, i think) 7 & 4 way plugs in the back. I took it back and reminded them that they were to put the factory style plug in, which it looks like they did. I know that factory tow packages have a harness to use when installing a brake controller. I assume I should have this since the dealer says they installed the factory wiring. Where should I look and what should I look for?

2.) If I get the wiring figured out, do you have any reccomendations for a controller? Let me state a few things first. I will only be pulling the camper a few times a year. I don't need anything especially fancy, but would like one that looks decent. I would like for it to be as close to plug and play as possible, and it would be great if it was removable. Also I would like to mount it as much out of site as possible. This is my first dealings with a brake controller so please bear with me. Thanks!

·
15,912 Posts
demonram522 said:
Not sure if this should be here or in general but here goes...

1.) I'm thinking about installing a trailer brake controller to pull my parents' camper for them. My truck (07 quad cab) didn't come with
the factory tow package, but they installed the package before I picked the truck up. At first they only put one of those universal (Hoppy, i think) 7 & 4 way plugs in the back. I took it back and reminded them that they were to put the factory style plug in, which it looks like they did. I know that factory tow packages have a harness to use when installing a brake controller. I assume I should have this since the dealer says they installed the factory wiring. Where should I look and what should I look for?

2.) If I get the wiring figured out, do you have any reccomendations for a controller? Let me state a few things first. I will only be pulling the camper a few times a year. I don't need anything especially fancy, but would like one that looks decent. I would like for it to be as close to plug and play as possible, and it would be great if it was removable. Also I would like to mount it as much out of site as possible. This is my first dealings with a brake controller so please bear with me. Thanks!
Well....let's start with question number 1:

If the dealer installed the package, there will NOT be the nice blue plug under the dash that you can plug the brake controller into. That is a factory installed item. So....that means that your brake controller will have to be wired in and someone professional should do that.

Question Numnber 2:

If you are looking for something that can be removed easily, then I suggest the Prodigy or P3 made by Tekonsha. There is a cradle that is mounted and then the controller slides into it. It can also be mounted in a cubby hole out of the way as well. Since you would be having RV dealer or someone that knows how to wire up a brake controller doing the work, they can mount the controller as well.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
the harness plug for the brake controller will be up under your dash by the steering column. If it isn't then the stealership didn't put in the factory harness set. It is separate and and mine is blue, it is a direct plug and play.
Can't give you a make as I don't have one myself yet, haven't towed anything with elec brakes yet. Talk to a trailer dealer and see what they say for the size of trailer that you will be pulling, or a truck aftermarket shop, you'll end up getting better information and a better price.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Prodigy or P3 are the controlers of choice. Don't settle for the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys. Thanks for the help so far. I looked and there is a plug under the dash. It's blue and it has 4 wires coming from it. It has a tag wrapped around the 4 wires. On one side it says "maximum 15 amps" and on the other it says "electric brake." Is this what I should have? Are the wires what they should be for a tow package?

Attachments

·
15,912 Posts
WOW....Surprisingly enough it seems they have installed the plug. All you need is to get the brake controller harness that plugs into that and you will be good to go. Sorry to the mis-information.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Yes, looks like you are good to go

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. I can't believe they did that. I just hope those wires are hooked to something on the other end! I guess I will find out soon. Now, I've looked at some controllers. I like the looks of the prodigy and the p3. Both are probably more than what I would need but like was mentioned before, no reason to go the cheap route. As far as wiring - am I correct as far as my options now:

1. Buy the plug from dodge that plugs into the blue trailer brake plug and wire it into the plug that comes with the controller.

or

2. Spend an extra 10 bucks when I order the controller and get the Dodge specific harness that looks to be a direct plug and play - one end to the controller and one end to the blue plug. Thanks again guys.

·
15,912 Posts
demonram522 said:
Wow. I can't believe they did that. I just hope those wires are hooked to something on the other end! I guess I will find out soon. Now, I've looked at some controllers. I like the looks of the prodigy and the p3. Both are probably more than what I would need but like was mentioned before, no reason to go the cheap route. As far as wiring - am I correct as far as my options now:

1. Buy the plug from dodge that plugs into the blue trailer brake plug and wire it into the plug that comes with the controller.

or

2. Spend an extra 10 bucks when I order the controller and get the Dodge specific harness that looks to be a direct plug and play - one end to the controller and one end to the blue plug. Thanks again guys.
The reason I suggested the Prodigy and P3 was the fact that they can be removed easily without worrying about the wiring. I would go with option 2. Both that plug and the dodge plug will do the same thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like with the harness I would have to get from dodge, I would have to connect it to the one that comes with the controller (which is no big deal, I've done some wiring before.) This one, if I'm seeing what I think I am, is a straight plug and plug, no wire connections needed.
http://www.etrailer.com/p-3020-P.htm

·
15,912 Posts
demonram522 said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like with the harness I would have to get from dodge, I would have to connect it to the one that comes with the controller (which is no big deal, I've done some wiring before.) This one, if I'm seeing what I think I am, is a straight plug and plug, no wire connections needed.
http://www.etrailer.com/p-3020-P.htm
You are correct. There is some wiring involved with the Dodge harness. The other is plug-n-play.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Another vote for Prodigy with their direct plug harness. You won't regret it!

·
15,912 Posts
Hey PW or Carl....Do either of you have any working knowledge of the P3? I was thinking about upgrading to that this summer from the Voyager

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
No, I am still using an older Prodigy

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No personal knowledge. They came out after I purchased my Prodigy. Everyone that I know that has the P3 has been very happy with theirs. It is supposed to be everything that Prodigy is and then some. If you are looking for an upgrade, I think that P3 would be a good choice.

So far my Prodigy has been trouble free. If I were to replace it now, I would certainly be considering the P3.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys another question if you don't mind. After doing some more research on this site it seems that most if not a lot of trucks come with the blue plug under the dash - it just may not be hooked to anything.

Like I mentioned before, my truck didn't come with the tow package but I had the dealer put it on before I picked up my truck. I'm pretty sure they installed the harness with the part number M82207253. http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/Mopar-OEM-Dodge-Ram-Trailer-Tow-Wiring-Harness-Kit-P16319C1009.aspx

So, knowing what I know now, I have to figure that there is little to no chance that the dealer took the time to make all the connections for the trailer brake controller. Is there any way I could find out? Where would I look other than the wires going into the blue plug under the dash? If some of you with a factory tow package could look at your plug or wherever else I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
15,912 Posts
If they say they installed the harness, they better have hooked up the brake control wire. That could mean the difference between life and death in certain situations.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts