Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a ramble:

I've been at this off and on for about two months. Last weekend I got really serious with my dealer about ordering a 2007 Hemi. He very much wants to sell me one that is sitting on his lot. As a matter of fact he said he ordered it early with me in mind. However, he will order another one and sell it to me at dealer invoice minus the rebate. No extra fees. He will also discount all accessories that I add.

Sounds good,right? It is until we talk trading my 2003. The truck has 94,000 miles on it but it is in excellent shape and I have a complete service record, including the new brakes that are being installed this morning. :( (I managed to get almost 94,000 miles on the originals. Can't complain) At the most he will allow me $11,000 trade. Maybe not even that. He was going to check with some of the dealers that he sells high mileage vehicles to.

According to the NADA Guide my trade should be about $15,000, Edmund's Guide about $13,000, and finally Kelley Blue Book $11,000. Now the darndest thing -- Last Friday, he said that he would get back to me. He called on Saturday and said that he was still checking. I haven't heard from him since. I e-mailed him and have not received a response. What's up?

In the meantime I have checked out a 2007 Ford FX4 Supercrew. It is a darn nice vehicle and the FX4 package has everything that I want. The only thing that is keeping me from buying it is it doesn't have the "yahoo factor" of the Hemi and too the Ford dealer will only allow me $10,000 on my truck.

Today I am headed to both another Dodge dealer and Ford dealer. I think that I will have to accept the fact that the truck market is slow and used trucks aren't worth much.

To make even more interesting. I need new tires before winter sets in. That would set me back another $800-$1000.

Tom :cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well I would think 11000 would be a decent trade for your truck if you were getting a good deal on the 07..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a week of serious shopping I agree that $11,000 will be about the best that I can do. I have found that every dealer I have gone to will sell at dealer invoice -- minus rebates. Sometimes they will add a "processing fee" -- usually $200-$250.

·
Registered
546 Posts
tguil said:
Just a ramble:

I've been at this off and on for about two months. Last weekend I got really serious with my dealer about ordering a 2007 Hemi. He very much wants to sell me one that is sitting on his lot. As a matter of fact he said he ordered it early with me in mind. However, he will order another one and sell it to me at dealer invoice minus the rebate. No extra fees. He will also discount all accessories that I add.

Sounds good,right? It is until we talk trading my 2003. The truck has 94,000 miles on it but it is in excellent shape and I have a complete service record, including the new brakes that are being installed this morning. :( (I managed to get almost 94,000 miles on the originals. Can't complain) At the most he will allow me $11,000 trade. Maybe not even that. He was going to check with some of the dealers that he sells high mileage vehicles to.

According to the NADA Guide my trade should be about $15,000, Edmund's Guide about $13,000, and finally Kelley Blue Book $11,000. Now the darndest thing -- Last Friday, he said that he would get back to me. He called on Saturday and said that he was still checking. I haven't heard from him since. I e-mailed him and have not received a response. What's up?

In the meantime I have checked out a 2007 Ford FX4 Supercrew. It is a darn nice vehicle and the FX4 package has everything that I want. The only thing that is keeping me from buying it is it doesn't have the "yahoo factor" of the Hemi and too the Ford dealer will only allow me $10,000 on my truck.

Today I am headed to both another Dodge dealer and Ford dealer. I think that I will have to accept the fact that the truck market is slow and used trucks aren't worth much.

To make even more interesting. I need new tires before winter sets in. That would set me back another $800-$1000.

shoot, i wish i could see $15k trade in on my truck.. i did kelley's bluebook and mine is sitting at $10k and i only have 75k miles on it :( i wish i could just trade my truck in...but i got ripped a big one when i bought it. paid $25k for an '03 when i bought it Feb '05

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Don't expect any dealers to sell their truck at invoice and give you high retail for yours...........just ain't gonna happen ! When they low-ball you in a situation such as this, ask yourself "Would I really buy my truck for $XX,XXX's when I can have an '07 for $XX,XXX's ?

The bottom line is the difference that comes out of pocket, no matter how the numbers are worked.

Greg

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
gsbrockman said:
Don't expect any dealers to sell their truck at invoice and give you high retail for yours...........just ain't gonna happen ! When they low-ball you in a situation such as this, ask yourself "Would I really buy my truck for $XX,XXX's when I can have an '07 for $XX,XXX's ?

The bottom line is the difference that comes out of pocket, no matter how the numbers are worked.

Greg

Really good way to look at it Greg!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just for an example ,,I had an 04' 4x4 Ram QC with only 11,000 miles on it , mint with extras and they were offering only $16k for it.. I laughed , i eventually got $18k for it at an infiniti dealer, ofcourse, i wasnt getting any great deal or incentives on the Infiniti though...

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Remember, you won't be paying for 11K of the taxes on the new truck when you trade. Alot of people forget that. They will sell their truck private for say 13K because the dealer only allowed them 11K on a trade but after the taxes thing they didn't save any money for the headache of selling it private.

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
Go to another dealer or look up something on the internet.
Call him and tell him you are no longer interested.
Test drive the Ford to his lot,then test drive a chevy there too-- see what he does then.
His job is to string you along until you cave, they don't make $$ selling cars being
'nice guys'
play hardball-- he already is.
in the end he doesn't think one bit about you when he is at home drinking a beer watching the game.

Just food for thought, waiting never hurst.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
Remember, you won't be paying for 11K of the taxes on the new truck when you trade. Alot of people forget that. They will sell their truck private for say 13K because the dealer only allowed them 11K on a trade but after the taxes thing they didn't save any money for the headache of selling it private.
Is that true everywhere in the US? I didn't know that. I have only bought this one truck and it was with a small trade in. If this is true, its great info to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Yellow04Hemi said:
Is that true everywhere in the US? I didn't know that. I have only bought this one truck and it was with a small trade in. If this is true, its great info to know. Thanks.
Yes, you pay the taxes on the difference. Say you bought a 40K truck and they gave you 25K on trade-in. You pay the taxes on 15K

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not in the Bluegrass State !

Ram3500Dually said:
Yes, you pay the taxes on the difference. Say you bought a 40K truck and they gave you 25K on trade-in. You pay the taxes on 15K
Can't speak for the other 49 states, but it doesn't work that way in Kentucky. Here our sales tax is 6%.......on a new vehicle purchase, you do get a small break....it drops down to 5.4% of MSRP, with no reduction in taxes when trading in a used vehicle towards a NEW vehicle.

However, if you have a USED vehicle that is being traded in towards another USED vehicle, you pay only 6% of the actual difference.

Greg

·
Registered
266 Posts
It all equeals out in the end... Great deal on the 07 and Low book on the Trade...During the Employee pricing the trade values were pretty low but that also drove the used market down...

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
You guys get ripped off :(

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any way I look at it, I'll be parting with about $20,000. I guess that's why I went to work for 42 years.:D

A good point to remember. Sales folks are usually OK. They are simply trying to make a living. BUT none of them are your "friend" no matter how friendly they act.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.