DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to sell my 03 Hemi QC. Great truck, lots of power but mileage is miserable...figure I'll step over to deisel. So what I can roughly afford is 03-04 QC 5.9L My understanding is that there are 3 different 5.9's - anywhere from 250-350 HP.

1) how can I tell what motor a particular truck has? Is there a serial # or something?
2) is there a big difference in mileage?
3) the trucks in my $ range will likely have 100-150K miles. What advice can anyone offer so I know I'm getting one w/ some longevity and not a horse on it's last legs.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would get the 04.5-07 Model more torque, all the others are great also but you get more bang for you buck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
1. There is a data sticker on the drivers side of the motor. For an 03-04, get the Cummins with 305 HP (HO or high output), it will have either the 6 speed manual or the 48RE Automatic.
2. I don't know what kind of mileage the SO or standard output motor gets, but the best highway mileage my 305 HP Cummins gets is 21 mpg, and depending on conditions will get 18-20. Towing depends on what you are towing.
3. I wouldn't buy a used one that has had any performance chips on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mlauk is right. Look for that sticker on the motor. Look for a plugged hole on the exhaust manifold. If there is a hole there, someone had a pyrometer on it. If someone had a pyrometer on it they probably modded it.

I had a Power Wagon with the Hemi in it. I loved that truck, but now that I've switched to a diesel I don't think I'll ever go back. Your wallet will appreciate the mileage increase. A good diesel with 75-100k on the clock has only seen about 1/4-1/3 of its lifetime. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.