DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to trade my truck plus cash for something else, and a guy with a mint low mileage (100,000km) 99 ram sport 4x4 is interested. Anything to check for when i look at this truck? It's a half ton with 5.9 gas and auto

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Sure, there's a lot just like any vehicle.

Let's say that all the standard used vehicle stuff is fine (brakes, tires, interior, oil, etc.)

Now, Ram specific issues related to the 2nd gen is what you're interested in I assume:
-Common problems:
- Track bar worn out. On these years they used a ball joint style frame joint and you can check for wear by having someone lightly moving the steering wheel and looking for ANY play at either end. Any play and it's shot. ($140-400)
- Plenum gasket leak. The intake manifold is two pieces and the bottom piece is sealed with a gasket. It can leak and suck oil into the air intake. This causes oil loss and ping, typically severe. It can be checked by removing the air filter assy and looking into the intake past the butterfly valves for oil pooling. Some residue is normal due to the PCV. A better look is to remove the throttle body as well. ($400-1000 for repair).
- Deathflash. Dodge decided to not fix the above-mentioned plenum issue that caused pinging so they sent out a computer tune that altered timing to reduce ping. It stole power and mileage thus the moniker "death" flash. It is found by locating a sticker on the radiator support AND/OR the pcm (on passenger side firewall) indicating "Authorized Software Upgrade". Some flashes were authorized for other various reasons and MAY not necessarily mean death flash.
- There is a bad check valve in the transmission cooling. I do not have an auto so I am not privy to this repair or cost but it has saved many autos by being repaired or removed.
- Cosmetic issues are cracked dashes and rust on the door pinch seam.
- There are some TSBs that can be found for minor issues on dodgeram.org.
- Check ALL the front end parts: ball joints, ujoints, steering linkage, etc. There a lot of them but it will be similar to your current AAM set-up except it is a Dana 44.
- Take it out and get it good and warmed up. Get to hwy speed and into OD then load it up a hill with everything off. Listen for "marbles in a can" that would be ping. If it were me I would pull and check the spark plugs too. Chances are they are still stock.

If all seems good, or repairable, get it and enjoy! Nobody makes trucks as solid anymore and sure, there are some quirks but my Ram has been the most reliable daily driver I have had and we're going on 11 years of marriage. Feel free to ask questions or pm me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. This truck has had the intake gasket done according to the owner. It runs and drives great. It's close to mint condition, one little dent on the front fender. He's talking about trading and giving me $3000 also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.