DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of trading in my 04 Hemi Ram 1500 4x4 w/38K miles and in mint condition for a new Chevy 4x4 so I could get a little larger cab without going into a Mega Cab..so I have the dealer offer me $15000 for the truck , Is everyone getting trade in values that low ? I felt like that was a lowball offer. I know you can get a new one for 26K or so around here in UTah..but I had in mind 16-17 for my truck ? what are you guys seeing out there now in your areas ? The dealer told me he can buy 06 and 07's at auction for 17-18K do you guys believe that ?
:crazy:

· Registered
36,020 Posts
Since its a GM dealer he is probably going to run your truck right to the auction and he will be lucky to get what he is offering you for it.

· Registered
797 Posts
what does kellybluebook say? I printed up the sheet for the trade in value and showed it to them, but still gave up a little. I got $18K for mine last year, but it also has to do with if they feel they can sell it, and with gas creeping up you may find your offers not as great as you would hope.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer was a GM/Dodge Jeep dealer,
I understand they need to make a buck..but I still feel like its low.
Here is what KBB says:
Condition Value

Excellent
$19,000

Good
$17,935

Fair
$16,020
I owe only 12K on the truck and I just cant see trading it for such a low price and get a new Chevy that costs $36K I may just keep it and pay it off and enjoy it.
I couldnt even come close to buying a truck this nice for $15K. dodge has really gotten its customers in a tough spot giving the size of rebates they have. It will be hard for most previous dodge owners to trade up to newer trucks without taking a bath on there old truck on the trade, I realize a few guys own there trucks outright but most people dont so I think this could be a factor in new dodge sales in the next few years. Agree ????

· 6.1 FTW
2,332 Posts
hoopman said:
dodge has really gotten its customers in a tough spot giving the size of rebates they have. It will be hard for most previous dodge owners to trade up to newer trucks without taking a bath on there old truck on the trade, I realize a few guys own there trucks outright but most people dont so I think this could be a factor in new dodge sales in the next few years. Agree ????
While I understand your plight, this is a little bit of reverse logic isn't it? I mean saying that Dodge is screwing it's customers by selling trucks for a low price is a little backwards to me.

· Registered
49 Posts
HoustonHemi said:
While I understand your plight, this is a little bit of reverse logic isn't it? I mean saying that Dodge is screwing it's customers by selling trucks for a low price is a little backwards to me.
Well its great for the guy picking up his 36k (msrp) ram for 28k when theres a big rebate, but the guy driving his truck that he's owned for a year or two just took a major hit on trade in value.

FWIW - Due to my new 90 mile per day commute to work and back, I have been looking into a few cars with decent MPG's to replace the ram. Its an 07 QC Hemi 4x4 with 14k miles on in and KBB for 20k fair-24k excellent. My truck is spot less and couldnt get a trade in of more than 19.5k!!! No, I wasnt trying to trade on a Kia either, this was at Dodge, Nissan, Ford and Beemer dealers. Painful.

· Registered
588 Posts
hoopman said:
The dealer was a GM/Dodge Jeep dealer,
I understand they need to make a buck..but I still feel like its low.
Here is what KBB says:
Condition Value

Excellent
$19,000
Good
$17,935
Fair
$16,020
Those are retail prices. If you want that much then sell it yourself. The dealer will give you Black Book prices. Thats the price they are going for at the wholesale auctions. If the Retail Good value is $18K then trade in of $15K is about right.

Bottom line, trade in is almost always a very low $ amount. However, if your state deducts the trade in value from the taxable amount on a new car then that must be taken into account. Here in AZ that saves about 8% of the trade in value on the cost of the new vehicle.

· Registered
221 Posts
You could most likely sell it yourself for considerably more than what the dealer offered you, but of course you have to go thru the hassle. A couple hours of the inconvenience would be worth it to me for $2k-3k more you would get for it.

Good point Houston !

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mileshuff, those are the Trade In values I posted right off the KBB.com site today.
the retail price is $24,265 from the same place.
You fellas buying the new ones now think its great ..but just wait for a few years when you want something new..then you will feel the pain just like all of us.
I guess Ill just keep this truck as I couldnt replace it for 15K. I was hoping some other folks would share what they are being offered as trade ins on this truck.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HoustonHemi said:
As long as Dodge wants to keep selling trucks by having to give huge rebates I guess it works..the problem is the folks that buy one even at 10K off of sticker ..youre still going to be 5-6K upside down on your truck within the year if you wanted to trade. Dodge clearly has the worst resale value of any truck out there right now. dont get me wrong I really enjoy my truck but it does suck for those of us that like new trucks every few years, and to top that off it gives the impression that the trucks are cheaply made and just plain cheap when they have resale like that and we know that isnt the case...of course this is all just my feeling about it and everyones may vary.

· Registered
36,020 Posts
If you are getting 8K in rebates expect to get 8K less at trade-in. You buy/trade retail for retail or wholesle for wholesale. You cannot have it both ways.

· Registered
370 Posts
wait till 09 and see if the quad gets bigger and the mega goes away as some have said they heard this. then u won't have to go to brand x.

· Registered
36,020 Posts
The Mega is shrinking and being called a Super Crew Cab. The quad is staying the same and being called an Extended Cab and the regular cab is staying the same.

· 6.1 FTW
2,332 Posts
SMOKEin said:
Well its great for the guy picking up his 36k (msrp) ram for 28k when theres a big rebate, but the guy driving his truck that he's owned for a year or two just took a major hit on trade in value.
Yeah I know, but frankly you can't have your cake and eat it too.

· 6.1 FTW
2,332 Posts
hoopman said:
As long as Dodge wants to keep selling trucks by having to give huge rebates I guess it works..the problem is the folks that buy one even at 10K off of sticker ..youre still going to be 5-6K upside down on your truck within the year if you wanted to trade.
I wouldn't get caught up in the fact that its a "rebate". The fact is, these large rebates have existed for years and all logic would say they will continue to exist. Bottom line, its basically just the price of the truck. Nobody ever buys a pickup for MSRP and specifically Dodge does not structure it that way. They can get a few more customers with the seeming bargain of a $5k rebate but that just means the MSRP was inflated.

The price of the truck - both when you bought it new, and now that your are selling it used - is determined by the market, not what is on the window sticker. If someone would pay more for it, it would be worth more. With vehicles it is completely supply vs demand and what price the market will bear.

hoopman said:
dont get me wrong I really enjoy my truck but it does suck for those of us that like new trucks every few years
If that is how you roll, you should be leasing. There is no way you will ever do anything but lose money buying a new vehicle of any type every couple years. You could save a fortune with a lease if thats what you are doing.

· Registered
128 Posts
Yep you just cant have it both ways. Everyone wants as much as possible off the list price when they buy new, and then every dollar they can squeeze when they trade up...it just doesnt work that way. Plus with the popularity of our trucks it puts so many on the roads and in new and used car lots that it tends to drive the prices down just because of sales competition...I agree with the the wait on the 09's...you may be able to stay in a Dodge and still fullfill your wants/needs....good luck either way

· 6.1 FTW
2,332 Posts
Wait for the 2009, do a 48 month lease, then get a 2011, and so on. In a couple years you'll have a Mr. Fusion Powered Ram 1500 and you won't have to worry about trade-in value when the 2021's come out with warp drive.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
HoustonHemi nailed it....lease it and save some money overall.

As far as trade-in value, the best way I've found is to look at like vehicles to your own at local dealer's and see what they are going for. Then I subtract a decent profit for the dealer and that's my trade-in value. Ex: Truck is selling for $24K, subtract $2K profit for dealer, therefore I should get $22K.

· Registered
36,020 Posts
Leasing is ok if you put low miles on and don't want to mod and never park it anywhere that it can be damaged. If a guy is doing 20 or 30K a year then leasing costs more than buying.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Never cared about the mileage when leasing. That only matters if you turn it back in. It's easier to trade it in to a different dealer. Same goes for mods. Mods will increase the value, if done right, therefore making you more money. If you do turn it in, they won't care as long as you put it back to stock.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.