DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the deal i got my hp and tq almost where i want it. th eproblem is now if i dont get some traction my tire bills going to be outragous lol. whats the best mods to help this with out putting ugly traction bars on it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get some 4.10 gears and an LSD. I did this and gained 6/10ths in the quarter on 20" wheels. I haven't even tried running it with this set up on 15"s. LSD will help you out with traction, too. I have the AuburnGear LSD unit.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just reread your list and saw that you have a Powertrax unit. In that case, just get some gears!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a power trax system already this is like posy an lsd would be a step down right ?
also i think the extra unspung weight from bigger rim would actually slow me down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive looked for the factory gear ratio do you have ne idea what it came with stock or how to find out

·
Registered
243 Posts
bada**durango said:
i have a power trax system already this is like posy an lsd would be a step down right ?
also i think the extra unspung weight from bigger rim would actually slow me down.

I never said switch to a bigger wheel, I'm just saying that I gained 6/10ths of a second on the gear change even with big ass wheels. What I'm tellling you is to get 4.10s.

·
Registered
243 Posts
bada**durango said:
ive looked for the factory gear ratio do you have ne idea what it came with stock or how to find out
Yours is either a 3.55 or 3.92, but probably a 3.55. Mine was 3.55 stock, but you can call or email Dodge with your VIN to find out what gear ratio your truck is, or it could be on a sticker in your glove box, or you could crawl under the truck, look at the differential, and there is a tag that lists the specifications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanx for the help

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
How will going to a higher gear ratio in your diff effect traction? It will shift your torque band. You will have more torque at lower engine RPM's with a higher gear ratio. Tires and lockers (or LSD's) are the main way to improve traction, but I am not sure I understand the connection between a shift in your torque pattern and traction.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's not really a shift in traction, but the dude says he wants to be in the 12s, I'm telling him how to knock several tenths off his time which is a significant gain. Who really cares what my post relates to, it is good advice for how to go faster. Originally I told him to get a LSD + gears, after reading that he already has the Powertrax, I told him he needed to get gears anyway and that would seriously help him. I also advise getting a good drag radial because that will help on the track.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
ok I see what you are saying.

Some other things you can try are wider tires, more weight in the rear of the vehicle and a Roadmaster active suspension. All of these mods will help prevent your rear tires from breaking loose on pavement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok yall got what a Roadmaster active susp? iv never heard of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.