DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'97 Ram 4x4 with 3" suspension lift. When I had the 5.2L in it I had alot of wheel hop and axle wrap. Now I'm building a 408 for it, expecting alot more axle wrap and wheel hop. Anybody using any traction bars or ladder bars to eliminate this?

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
I have Rancho RS9000 shocks on my truck. Putting them to "5" (as stiff as they get) it takes the wheel hop out of my truck. I know I have much stiffer springs than a 1500.
You may need to put on a link from the axle to the front spring mount, to keep the spring from wrapping (I can't think of the name of it right now)
My $.02

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Did you put an after market block in the rear? And rick Check yr pm's and drool over my long tubes!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I saw your video, thanks alot, now I've got to get some of those!!!LOL!!! They do sound awsome!!!Did you notice a big hp gain with 'em???

sgillett, I did find something that I think you're talking about, made by Tuff Country. I've got to find something thats going to help with this stump puller that I'm going to have, now with Pacesetter long tube headers!!!!!

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I am getting ready to fab my own long arm ladder bar set up.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me know how it works out. I was thinking of doing the same. Keep me posted maybe between the two of us we can come up with something that works. I did find a website that had all premade brackets, but now I can't find it!!!

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
Ladder bar! that's what they are called!
Duh...
sometimes it sucks to be .535 C old.
Wait... what were we talking about? LOL

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think there are both ladder bars and traction bars. I found a couple searching the net made by Fabtech, Tuff Country, Superlift, RCD Suspension, and Full Throttle Suspension. I like the idea of building my own. Have to look into this some more. Thanks, Rick

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
I'm not a big fan of traction bars, I could think of them, just couldn't bring to mind "lader bar"...

·
Registered
571 Posts
a 3.55 rear end will help.. until the 408 is ready.. at that point just leave it in 4wd

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has the stock 3.92's in it right now. In the future I plan on putting either 4.56 or 4.88 gears. I'm running 35" tires.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
4.56's will be more than enough to push that truck down the road with a 408 in between the frame.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,704 Posts
i dont have any problems with wheel hop on my truck lifted 3 inches...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the wheel hop is from the open differential (one wheel peel). I found another potential cause today. I'm tearing the axles out from under the truck to get the frame ready to be sent to have it blasted and powder coated, while unbolting the pass. side leaf spring at the front mount the rubber bushing fell right out. The metal bushing inside was gone. There was a piece about 1/2" inside that was all deformed. The whole axle must have been shifting or torqueing to the side from this. I was planning on replaceing all the bushings with some energy suspension ones anyways. The front control arm bushing where shot also. Wed. some buddies are coming over to help lift the cab off the frame. Wasn't going to go this far, but while I had it all apart what the heck. Found a place about a hour south of me in central PA. that does real good work at a geat price so off it goes!!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Still wont hurt to have them arms down there. Just dont off road.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I kind of like the looks of them. On ebay there is a set of plans on how to build your own. I might have to put the rear axle back in so I can get some in before it goes to powder coat.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't really think you need them. There is a guy on df with a blown 408 and he don't complain about it.

But he now has a 4link in the rear. Chopped the truck to hell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.