DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I dont know how much more good weather we are gonna get. but I got my drag radials, and front tires in yesterday. Going to get them mounted and balanced sometime before next wednesday and head back out to the track and see how much they help my 60's 1/8th and 1/4. Then after that I am looking a few more simple, less complex mods to do to help lower times. Hoping for 13.8's or better if the weather will cooperate.

My list so far looks like this (future mods/ track prep)
-efan
-short belt
-headlight track intake (4" pvc)
-remove pass. seat and center console
-remove bumper (since roll pan adds drag)
-lighter wheels
-remove swaybar

Is there anything else that would be easy/ simple to do that I might could do for some track prep? Dont wanna affect towing by taking out leafs, or affect handling by removing the sway bars. So far I figure if I gain .05 from each thing listed above I can lower my times by .2-.3 ths. Sound about right?

Also curious to know, what did AIR RAM insulate his intakes with to keep the heat from warming the pipe? I know even with the filter off it was getting more air, but the pipe itself had to have been 80* or more. It gets extremely warm.

thanks for reading and posting guys. Looking forward to some input

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
You may want to tape up your grill fronts and pull your mirror's in. It really helps with aerodynamics. I use black Gorilla tape for more of a stealth look.

·
-4.7 ltr racing-
459 Posts
i have a question about covering the grill...technically would you want more air cooling the radiator for a lower temp or are ya just going for aero dynamics there?

·
Boost, you say!?
1,304 Posts
Your list looks good. The sway bar is easier and quicker than than pulling out a seat. I enjoyed the smooth ride so much I stopped putting it back in. I've done seats and heavy stereo crap, sway bar, spare tire and carrier, grill inserts, drag-radials, lowered suspension, mudflaps, mirrors with rollpan install coming up.

·
11 sec club
6,067 Posts
Ok, I dont know how much more good weather we are gonna get. but I got my drag radials, and front tires in yesterday. Going to get them mounted and balanced sometime before next wednesday and head back out to the track and see how much they help my 60's 1/8th and 1/4. Then after that I am looking a few more simple, less complex mods to do to help lower times. Hoping for 13.8's or better if the weather will cooperate.

My list so far looks like this (future mods/ track prep)
-efan
-short belt
-headlight track intake (4" pvc)
-remove pass. seat and center console
-remove bumper (since roll pan adds drag)

Is there anything else that would be easy/ simple to do that I might could do for some track prep? Dont wanna affect towing by taking out leafs, or affect handling by removing the sway bars. So far I figure if I gain .05 from each thing listed above I can lower my times by .2-.3 ths. Sound about right?

Also curious to know, what did AIR RAM insulate his intakes with to keep the heat from warming the pipe? I know even with the filter off it was getting more air, but the pipe itself had to have been 80* or more. It gets extremely warm.

thanks for reading and posting guys. Looking forward to some input
I think you should pull the sway bar. Mines been out for a couple years now. Also idk if you are willing to do this b/c idk if its your daily driver but mine isnt so I'll tell ya, when I did my efan I didnt put my windshield wiper fluid bottle on. Its only a couple pounds but it all adds up. The headlight intake is great to if ya do one like me, Jay & Sam have. Other than that I think thats about all the easy little track mods. Anything else as far as weight will be really going all out & cutting stuff out.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I think you should pull the sway bar. Mines been out for a couple years now. Also idk if you are willing to do this b/c idk if its your daily driver but mine isnt so I'll tell ya, when I did my efan I didnt put my windshield wiper fluid bottle on. Its on a couple pounds but it all adds up. The headlight intake is great to if ya do one like me, Jay & Sam have. Other than that I think thats about all the easy little track mods. Anything else as far as weight will be really going all out & cutting stuff out.
I'd pull the front sway bar off too. It really doesn't take all that long to pull and it'll knock another 26lbs off the front of your truck and you can always put it back on once you get home.

·
Registered
958 Posts
X3 on the sway bar. It helped with weight transfer quite a bit and I just left mine off like Gary.

·
11 sec club
6,067 Posts
X3 on the sway bar. It helped with weight transfer quite a bit and I just left mine off like Gary.
Mine handles perfect w/o it & I drive like theres no tomorrow around turns & everything.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well yall are also lowered. I am not lowered just yet but I am looking into eventually lowering the truck. I am not gonna go all out with weight reduct. Just gonna kindof bring a couple along. and when I cant run no faster try something. Like pulling seats and a bumper while at the track. (handy tool box travels everywhere!)

As far as taping the grill goes. has it been proven to actually work? I know you have a fan to pull heat from the radiator, but what about overheating? I assume no issue if its cold enough out? wouldnt the little pockets where the plus is in the grill still catch some air? I mean hell the front is pretty much square right there anyways.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so lets add this up right quick to see how much weight I can drop.

bumper 80-100lbs
seats and center 50lbs
sway bar 26lbs
swap wheels 10lbs per wheel = 40lbs.

So hell thats a good 200lbs almost. If need be put my girlfriend in there vs me 50-60lbs less!

·
11 sec club
6,067 Posts
so lets add this up right quick to see how much weight I can drop.

bumper 80-100lbs
seats and center 50lbs
sway bar 26lbs
swap wheels 10lbs per wheel = 40lbs.

So hell thats a good 200lbs almost. If need be put my girlfriend in there vs me 50-60lbs less!
The rear bumber doesnt weight that much. Maybe 30 lbs plus the brackets. At the most all & all 50 lbs. Now the hitch frame does weight a pretty good bit & every truck comes w/ it so look into dropping that.

The seats for me is around 60 lbs for both I think w/o the brackets. I dont ever take the brackets out.

Sway bar is a good "track only mod" if you want it to be. Just put it on when your done.

The wheels for me I think is a little more per wheel but I dont remember tyhe exact number

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was doing roughs. I had thought i caught a glimpse scrolling through here that a bumper weighed that much. I put a after market hitch accessory on mine cause it did not come with one.

How long does the swap bar usually take to take out?

So if I dropped that weight, ran a shorbelt which is good for a .1 almost .2 on some (so somewhere in the middle. thinking of a 4" pvc track intake to a 6" with all proper elbows and reducers? alignment on that will be a little tough but I think I can get that to work. put a e-fan on there (good for about a .1 also) there is probably another .3-.5ths to be had and have not even ran on the drag radials yet. Our window of opportunity is fadding fast though, starting to get warm quick.

Anyone know where a spare headlight is, so I can get started on the intake!

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also curious, what do you guys think I could have ran if I had the same weather I had for either the stock run, or the sc/ intake runs. I think a 13.9 def was there and possibly a 13.8 if I rubbed her down enough!

Just trying to calculate so I can say I gained this much from this and bla bla. but thanks for the congrats and comments guys! Looking forward to breaking another second barrier and joining you 13 sec n/a guys!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
As far as overheating, I wouldn't worry about that. You have an efan which is way better than my stock clutch fan for pulling air with a blocked grill front. The one thing that I did install was a water temp gauge and I try to time it so I leave on the thermostat. Sometimes I even have to run my truck in the staging lanes to warm it up.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Are you going to lower your truck??

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
If you can't find a headlight in time, just pull your headlight and stick the tube through the headlight hole. You don't have to look pretty when you go to the track. We won't hold nothing against ya for that. All we want to see are timeslips. :D

·
11 sec club
6,067 Posts
I was doing roughs. I had thought i caught a glimpse scrolling through here that a bumper weighed that much. I put a after market hitch accessory on mine cause it did not come with one.

How long does the swap bar usually take to take out?

So if I dropped that weight, ran a shorbelt which is good for a .1 almost .2 on some (so somewhere in the middle. thinking of a 4" pvc track intake to a 6" with all proper elbows and reducers? alignment on that will be a little tough but I think I can get that to work. put a e-fan on there (good for about a .1 also) there is probably another .3-.5ths to be had and have not even ran on the drag radials yet. Our window of opportunity is fadding fast though, starting to get warm quick.

Yes I say b/w weight, short belt, efan, & track intake thats an easy 5 tenths. Unfortunately your & me's racing season is pretty much gone until next november.

·
11 sec club
6,067 Posts
Also curious, what do you guys think I could have ran if I had the same weather I had for either the stock run, or the sc/ intake runs. I think a 13.9 def was there and possibly a 13.8 if I rubbed her down enough!

Just trying to calculate so I can say I gained this much from this and bla bla. but thanks for the congrats and comments guys! Looking forward to breaking another second barrier and joining you 13 sec n/a guys!
Yes I think it would have been 13.9's in good air

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Refining your launch is a big deal as well. Don't just give up on a particular launch technique because you didn't see an initial drop in your times. Keep trying to leave hard, but don't torque up the converter too early, just when the lights start to blink load it up some depending on traction. Also try a short belt, and empty out every conceivable thing in your truck that's not needed, fold in the mirrors..... Lots of little things add up.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
about to have to learn how to lauch all over again. Lauching on stock tires was good for me. I pulled numerous 2.0's

Got some nitto drag radials and front tires from fg04 on a good deal, and have been wanting to try some 26" tall tires and see what exactly they will do for my 1/8th, was told .2-.3ths. All of my lauching has been from idle, gonna be trying to stall up a bit on the radials and see what I can do, hoping for some sub 2.0 60's

Yes I plan on eventually lowering the truck, depends on money and stuff as to when. I have spent a good bit in the last month or 2. Just making a mental note on what to do to better my times, before I do a the cam and possible heads. As gary says our season is closing very fast.

Hemidup, no efan here yet. I was just naming things I could do to gain some more et off my current times. Seeing how far I can take the stock lsd, gears, and converter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.