DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the off-road package, and it is equipped with the factory "trac-lok" limited slip differential with 4:10 gears, my problem is that the limited slip is falling apart, every gear oil change i get more and more pieces of it and it only works once in a great while, I was wondering if the limited slip is rebuildable and if it is, is it even worth it?, or should i just dump the whole rear end and replace it all??? My ring gear and pinon are fine along with the spider gears, none are showing any signs of excessive wear, if anyone knows or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
2 words

Detroit Locker, 'nuff said

·
Derelict
392 Posts
A dealer will replace the entire carrier as a unit but any tranny shop can replace just the clutch pack.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, another question, i have been reading and a lot of people say you can put a 2500 axle in a 1500 but the wheels are different, i'm assuming because of bolt pattern, will my 1500 axle shafts fit in a 2500 case, or will the guts of the 2500 fit 1500 case???? any help is appreciated, THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am considering going to a independent shop and see what they can do, so thank you, i just figured it may be cheaper to do it myself, i may also just screw the whole thing and get a good locker, but i'm in college right now so money is tight, thank you all, any other advice is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did the one in mine wasn't that bad and it works just fine just make sure you get the proper back lash and side shim settings

Oh yea don't forget to put the posi fluid additive in it :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where did you get your Trac-Lok kit from? i've been looking but i cant seem to find a rebuild kit or replacement parts for it, i was thinking i may have to go to the stealership to get it, i live in GrandRapids which is pretty close to Muskegon so if you got it somewhere locally i can drive there when i get back from college during thanksgiving, THANK YOU ALL!!!, any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with buzzbass, go with a detroit locker. I had a trac lock in my rear end and it fell apart to, so I had a detroit installed with my new gears, plus the detroit is so much more durable than the trac lock.

·
Derelict
392 Posts
A 1500 has a Chrysler 9 1/4 axle and a 2500 is a Dana 60 or Dana 70 axle. They have nothing in common.

My local transmission shop had a whole box of Trac-Lock kits so I'm assuming they're a common item. Except at dealers.

I'd say that putting in an aftermarket limited slip (like a Detroit Truetrac) is more useful than a full locker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks everyone!! if i can get the money together i am going to try to get a good locker, but i also do a good amount of street driving because this truck is my daily driver, so i think i may look into the "detroit truetrack" instead of an actual locker since i'm not always off-road, anyways, i would love any other advice!!!! THANKS!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.