DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im looking at getting a tq converter, but im wanting to hear all the pros' and con's that people who have them and what brand and stall speed the are using. im also wanting to find outthe diffrences between them. so please provide some info for me.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I don't have one yet - so I can't comment on first hand experience. But both Edge and APS are supposed to be significant upgrades. In checking things out on here, it looks like APS has a higher torque multiplier than Edge. I have also heard of a few Edge converters blowing - but they were being used on HIGH HIGH hp Hemi's - nothing most us are likely to have. Both offer good warranties, and they have both responded to all my questions in a timely matter.

I'm sure Matt will chime in on his experience with Edge, and there are a couple guys running APS converters and an STS turbo.

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well imlookingat the sts in the future allong w/ a stroker kit from heat performance so i need a strong t/c

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sandiegohemi said:
I don't have one yet - so I can't comment on first hand experience. But both Edge and APS are supposed to be significant upgrades. In checking things out on here, it looks like APS has a higher torque multiplier than Edge. I have also heard of a few Edge converters blowing - but they were being used on HIGH HIGH hp Hemi's - nothing most us are likely to have. Both offer good warranties, and they have both responded to all my questions in a timely matter.

I'm sure Matt will chime in on his experience with Edge, and there are a couple guys running APS converters and an STS turbo.
that and i am actually thinking about the aps over the edge just for the higher tq mutlipication. i read that too but it seems like i am searching through way to many posts about garbage to get the little info im looking for

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've got the APS and have nothing but good things to say about it. It really helps the truck come alive. It made the transmission feel less like a truck transmission and more like something that would come in a performance vehicle. Better response, feels like more power is making it to the rear wheels and less is wasted in the trans. I would definitely recommend it. Out of all my mods, I would probably say this is 2nd only to the gears. The only con I can think of is the initial price, and the decreased life of the rear tires. I suppose that some people in the snow or rain may have some traction concerns but I'm in Phoenix so I don't have those concerns. Even the install is easy if you have all the right tools. Mostly 14, 15, 16, and 18mm wrenches and sockets, floor jack (transmission attachement optional) and 4 strong jack stands. It is a great opportunity to change the tranny fluid, filters and you might as well do the Transgo shift kit at the same time.

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
azhemion22s said:
I've got the APS and have nothing but good things to say about it. It really helps the truck come alive. It made the transmission feel less like a truck transmission and more like something that would come in a performance vehicle. Better response, feels like more power is making it to the rear wheels and less is wasted in the trans. I would definitely recommend it. Out of all my mods, I would probably say this is 2nd only to the gears. The only con I can think of is the initial price, and the decreased life of the rear tires. I suppose that some people in the snow or rain may have some traction concerns but I'm in Phoenix so I don't have those concerns. Even the install is easy if you have all the right tools. Mostly 14, 15, 16, and 18mm wrenches and sockets, floor jack (transmission attachement optional) and 4 strong jack stands. It is a great opportunity to change the tranny fluid, filters and you might as well do the Transgo shift kit at the same time.
i have all the right tools i have a trans jack allong w/ a lift so thats not an issue.(who still uses jack stands lol just kidding) and traction im not too concerned w/ eather. im looking at moving to tucson soon (mid feb)

what stall speed are you running and did you see any diffrence in the gas milage (i really dont care was just cerious) the price is not really an issue i have the money sitting here for it just trying to decide on what one to get. thanks for all your input.
i should be in phx (off of carefree hyw for christmas if you want to have a GTG)

·
Registered
489 Posts
azhemion22s said:
It is a great opportunity to change the tranny fluid, filters and you might as well do the Transgo shift kit at the same time.
I am thinking the APS converter and after talking to Wayne at APS, I am now considering his shift kit. He says it is a collection of stronger parts and no drilling or such. The APS converter is a bit more expensive than the Edge converter, I was qouted 612.00 plus a 125.00 core, but installation doesn't look to bad. I am hoping to visit Slammed1 later this year for a few more 'mods' and actually inquired about having him do the converter as well. No word back yet. I think I will be going the APS route on mine. Nothing against the Edge converter, I just enjoyed my conversation with Wayne and believe he was a straight talker. I think his product has a few advantages.

Todd

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe the stall was 2500, maybe 2600. I don't really remember for sure. I've heard if you have too high of a stall the computer will set a code for transmission error. It basically thinks it is slipping. I never noticed a drop in MPG. I seem to always get the same 340 miles per tank since the truck was stock. Sounds like you have everything you need for the install. A lift would be nice and make the job go alot quicker. One of these days I might just give in and get one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with Todd. Wayne at APS does seem to be a good guy. Occasionally he can be a little hard to get on the phone. Usually that means they have a good product and that it is in demand. If he always picked up on the first ring, that probably means that it is quiet and not much going on.

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think ill pic up the aps in the next few days. it all depends on talking to him i still ahve a few questions about it.

whitedimond, unless there website is wrong im thinking that i can get itfor the price posted below.
Dodge 5.7L "Hemi" Performance TQ Converter

HEMI45S APS 5.7L "HemiVerter" - Performance TQ Converter
($125 Refundable Core Charge will be added)

$450 $37.00 (shipping)

if i can get it for that price im all over it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.