DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are quite a few threads out there in regards to picking the right cam, but each thread turns into an argument about who has the better cam and which cam is better - usually after the first page.

My truck weighs 7100 pounds right now and when I am completly done with it it will weigh closer to 7500 pounds. I have 35's, 3.73 gears will install (4.10) after the cam, I have diablo so tuning will not be an issue. I will be installing headers and ported tb before the cam. I am looking for a crazy amount of tq, starting at idle - I don't race this truck and very rarely does it go past 4000RPM - so I don't care about power made up top, I want/need usueable power down low starting at idle. Also, just to make things a bit more difficult, I have 53500 miles on this truck in the 16 months I have owned it and I avg. 12mpg right now, so I don't want to lose any mpg. All opinions, recommendations and experience welcome - keep the bickering out - if this thread goes past one page I would like it to still be informative.

Thanks

·
Finally FRI'd!!!!!!!!!!!
1,240 Posts
the sidewinder is a big tq cam. you may also want to give stu a call and see if he could custom grind you something. most of the production cams out there were made with speed in mind. a custom grind may be what your looking for.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sidewinder is a big tq cam. you may also want to give stu a call and see if he could custom grind you something. most of the production cams out there were made with speed in mind. a custom grind may be what your looking for.
Have you gotten your tune dialed in yet? How is the truck running?

·
Finally FRI'd!!!!!!!!!!!
1,240 Posts
tune sucks still getting kind of impatient with it really.

·
Finally FRI'd!!!!!!!!!!!
1,240 Posts
oh yeah i forgot to mention there are 2 sidewinders in the classifieds one is new for $375 and one has about 4000 miles on it for $250.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw those - that is why I am trying to figure out which cam I am going to go with - if the sidewinder provides plenty of tq down low I may go ahead and jump on one in the classifieds instead of waiting a few months - like I had planned, but I want to make sure I am getting the cam I want and not just jumping on a good deal.

Hopefully you get the tune dialed in soon - that truck is going to be a beast

·
Finally FRI'd!!!!!!!!!!!
1,240 Posts
call stu at inertia he can help you out.

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
here is a little something for you to think about. i know a guy that installed a comp 260 that said " this cam is great its fairly stock off the line and pulls really hard up top." it was installed on a charger with an ICL of 121. the same cam installed on a diffrent car at 110 is a kiler TQ cam. so the ICL will pay a fairly large roll in how the cam performs. getting a custom ground cam, and making sure it is set up correctly for what you are after will reall bennifit you.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
HOLY CRAP that's a heavy-azzed truck!!! That's damn near two of my trucks!!!!

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
custom is the way to go

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
sidewinder has bookoo torque and you need it at 7k+ lbs
you'd also be much better off going to 4.56 gear, 37's are huge.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rand - I am running 35's not 37's - not going to 4.56's - 4.10's from my research are the best gear on the mega cab with 35's.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
rand - I am running 35's not 37's - not going to 4.56's - 4.10's from my research are the best gear on the mega cab with 35's.
Really? 4.56 on my 32 tall streets seem about perfect in my QC. I turn over about 2200 rpm at 70 mph but don't spend much hwy time at all much over that speed.
What sort of rpm you targeting at 70 mph on 35's?

·
Finally FRI'd!!!!!!!!!!!
1,240 Posts
HOLY CRAP that's a heavy-azzed truck!!! That's damn near two of my trucks!!!!
or your truck with you in it.......:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not so much targeting any RPM, but when I look at what the Power Wagons are pulling with 4.56 and33/35's they do about 12-13 - but mega cabs/2500 with 4.10 and 35's are 14 or so and mileage doesn't get eaten up past 70/75 like it does when you run 4.56.

I am just going off of all the reading I have been doing here and on other forums - and 4.10's seem to be the happy medium for my truck and I do alot of hwy driving - roughly 16K in sept/oct/nov/dec of last year and alot of that was spent between 70-80 mph.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
or your truck with you in it.......:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny
Dat true.
Guess your seen my superman running imitation :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.