DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE HELP!!!! after having my durango in the dealership for 7 weeks, first starting with a coil wire crack, then off to a tranny rebuild....$3000 later. no thanks to the dealership i now have a new problem, figures after coming out of the dealership. I have eratic idle, black exhaust, and surging. could this be the TPS? feels like it might be starting to have a miss, but i wanna start with the easy stuff first.

mind you, i never had a lick of trouble til the coil wire cracked, went to the dealer, came home with an idle problem, went back to the dealer for a tranny failure after them doing a flush, on a 9mth old tranny to begin with!!!!!

Im black smokin like a deisel, please help!!!!!!!

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
what year motor and miles? I doubt it's your TPS. Can you be more specific about your erratic idle?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tps???

1998, durango 5.9 v8 magnum, 169,000. brand new tranny, headers, ran just fine, til about a 3 months ago.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
No codes???

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
I would think minimally you'd be getting o2 codes...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive been getting o2 codes forever, never really bothered tho. the previous owner, cut off the wiring harness to bank 2, but its never had an issue until the dealer put their grubby hands on it!!!! now i cant even drive 1.2 mile without black smokin out the person behind me, and idle surges like crazy!!!! i have an o2 sensor i can install, and i can go purchase a TPS, but so you think this is the problem???? the dealership says because im a girl i dont know what im talking about, so i really dont want to call them again!!!

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
any other codes? Your TPS shouldn't cause this I would think. It may be your answer to the surging but it won't be causing your smoke I wouldn't think. Is it misfiring or backfiring?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its starting to misfire and backfire internally. you can hear it popping under the hood, of course this just started when i picked it up from the dealership!!!! seems like it might be running to rich? got any suggestions?

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
well, PCM/coil/distributor (check the distribitor!)

OR

Timing chain.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
You've GOT to either have your O2 in place, or plug a simulator in.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
WarrensD said:
You've GOT to either have your O2 in place, or plug a simulator in.

No o2 will cause it to spew smoke and overfuel by that much??

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
are there any other codes besides o2 codes? Take it to auto zone or someplace and have it checked for free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just checked the TPS, its fine .71. looking at the O2's. wires for two sensors unplugged, left off by the STEALERship!!!!! in process of reconnecting. still cant figure out why its smoking so badly.

not coding anything else but O2's.

gonna drive it off a cliff by the end of the day!!!!

i know black smoke, to much fuel, but why? im stumped!!!!

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
well, my guesstimate is no 02+too much fuel = problems, not pile loads of black smoke like a freightliner goin' up a mountain with a full load...

too much fuel because the o2 sensors are not 'sensing' anymore so it thinks it's running lean.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Now that you have the o2 sensors hooked up, try running a can of SeaFoam or BK44 thru the fuel system, get from NAPA or CarQuest. This should help clean the carbon out. The plugs may be fouled sooo bad that they are shorting out. May want to replace them again?
Was the tranny under warranty?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
When was the las time all of the spark plug wires and plugs were changed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the o2's have been in for about 3 hours, drove it a little, seems better on power, not as much smoke, but still some, but still cutting out, and jumping the rpm's. i dont seem to have 7.5 mpg any more, now i think im up to 10. this car had a full tune up less than 2 months ago. wires, plugs, flushes.....and so on. the tranny was overhauled 1 yr ago, and after the dealer did the tune up, the tranny went to hell....

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
You will still want to at least pull 1 or 2 plugs and check for fouling no matter what with that kind of tail pipe discharge...

If they didn't screw up the tranny service by filling it with dextron/mercon instead of ATF+4...

what symtoms are you experiencing from the trans?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heres the story, i had a coil wire crack by laying on the headers. this causing it to go to the dealership for a repair. figured it was a good call to do all the reccomended services.....tune up, tranny flush, diff lubes....good call right? WRONG!!!! the day we get it back, it stalls constantly....it kind of settles down, i figure we will deal with it on our own. a few weeks later the car starts to have shifting issues, so i check the fluid, 2 qts low!!!! they just did a service, so i monitor for 2 days to make sure theres no leak, nope, no leak!!! its losing power, shifting funny, and cutting out at this point! i leave out of state, and the tranny fails while im gone! my better half has it towed, after a long ordeal of blame with the dealership, they overhaul it for a slight discount. 5 weeks later, they tell me to come get it. i come get it, take it home, and it wont shift into 1st. take it back, they give me a loaner car, that breaks down.

next day, they call say shes crazy, nothin wrong, come get it. come to find out the valve body was bad. 7 weeks all together we get it back. stuttering, black smoke, and nothing but problems.....

all of this because a coil wire cracked one hot day! all together over $3000.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.