DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone elses tpms dash light come on when its cold? It seems like everytime it drops below 40 the warning light comes on, then in the afternoon it goes off. What gives?

by the way, all tires have 35lbs of nitrogen

·
Getting my life back!
945 Posts
i bumped mine up to 40psi and it hasn't come on anymore

·
Registered
630 Posts
Strange, if you have nitrogen they shouldnt be effected by temp changes.

·
Flintstone
579 Posts
I have the same problem. But on a positive note I check the inflation in my tires all the time.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i know that normal air will read a lower pressure at a lower temp.. and higher pressure at higher temps.. as everything expands and contracts with temp changes.
not sure though how much nitrogen is affected by the temp

·
-Arana-
7,088 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone elses tpms dash light come on when its cold? It seems like everytime it drops below 40 the warning light comes on, then in the afternoon it goes off. What gives?

by the way, all tires have 35lbs of nitrogen
I also put mine at 40 psi and it has not come back on.
:teacher:

·
Registered
630 Posts
The TPMS will come on in very cold weather, happens in all vehicles with it. You don't need to add more air. The pressure isnt low, its just not calibrated for cold weather.
Not on mine, and 40 isnt "very" cold weather either...I was out in weather in the teens recently with zero TPMS issues. I did have it come on the day after I bought it...one tire was down around 32 if I remember correctly.

·
CH³NO²
340 Posts
Not on mine, and 40 isnt "very" cold weather either...I was out in weather in the teens recently with zero TPMS issues. I did have it come on the day after I bought it...one tire was down around 32 if I remember correctly.
Well, i was referring to COLD weather colder than 0 (-20°c). It usually seems to send it off. 40 is not cold at all :p barley balmy.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
It was 2 deg F this morning when I woke up and the TPMS didn't go off...although I did have it come on once when it was around 35 deg F out though. Not too sure at what point (psi) the TPMS tells you the tire pressure is low.

Whoever said the cold weather doesn't change your tire pressure is incorrect....for every drop in temp of 10 deg F, you will lose roughly 1-psi because the air inside the tire will contract significantly, causing the tire pressure to fluctuate....when it warms back up, the air will expand again.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Whoever said the cold weather doesn't change your tire pressure is incorrect....for every drop in temp of 10 deg F, you will lose roughly 1-psi because the air inside the tire will contract significantly, causing the tire pressure to fluctuate....when it warms back up, the air will expand again.
I dont think anyone said that temps would'nt effect tire pressure filled with air, thats why people use nitrogen...it isnt supposed to be effected by temperature changes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wifes toyota tpms doesn't do this crap. I guess i'll fill them up to 40 psi and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Think Dodge is annoying try a Nissan Titan It is super sensitive (1 lb difference will set it off) and Chimes every 30 sec. with no way of shutting it off

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I dont think anyone said that temps would'nt effect tire pressure filled with air, thats why people use nitrogen...it isnt supposed to be effected by temperature changes.
Actually it was said by bruteforce, "The pressure isnt low, its just not calibrated for cold weather".....when in fact the tire pressure IS low because of cold weather. You will always lose a few pounds when the temps get colder.

·
rammin
92 Posts
Is there anyway of turning it off? Can a dealer take it off i wonder, or will they take it off hmm...?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Maybe there is a way to just disable the feature, instead of actually removing it. Would be kinda nice though so that chime doesn't annoy you. I still am curious to find out at what pressure the TPMS is triggered to go off (around 30-32 maybe?).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Several months ago i bought used durango wheels and the tire shop that did the swap new all about the TPMS and I felt confident that they would work when put on the new rims. My alarm hasn't gone off one time in the three months that I have had the new rims. It was going off about once a week before. I don't know if the tire guys broke them or if some other problem was corrected inadvertantly in the swap, but it is the BEST thing that could have happened with those stupid things.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.