DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after doing a lot of searching and a lot of asking questions here (thanks ggravant for all the great info) I had a set of Toyo Open Country A/T's installed on my 2500 QC/longbed 4x4 yesterday. I finally chose to go with the OEM 265/70/17E tires and they were in stock at a local dealer. Out the door price was $890 for all 4, installed, balanced, unlimited mileage damage warrantee, free lifetime rotations, new valve stems, 40k treadwear warrantee, and an alignment. I was previously running Firestone Trans-Force AT in the same size and had never been happy with them in almost any way. The did not ride well, handle well, tackle snow well, or wear well.

Here's how the Toyos compare.

Night and day. I could not have imagined that simply swapping tires could have resulted in such a drastic change. The biggest complaint I heard about the Toyos was road noise. I don't notice it, they are actually quieter than the Firestones (but the Gibson exhaust drowns some noise out anyway). The handling was immediately and noticeably better, but the ride quality is what really got me. Small stutter bumps that used to bounce the truck around with the Firestones seem non-existent. On flat surfaces the truck actually seems to ride smoother and better. When getting on the highway I used to be able to spin the Firestones if I put it to the floor, but with the Toyos they just grip.....no slip. When I got close to home I wanted to try them out on the iced out/snow covered dirt road I live on and they certainly didn't disappoint. I used to have to use 4x4 to get up one of the little hills but with the Toyos I never took it out of 2 wheel drive. The sidewalls look kinda neat and the truth is that even though they are supposed to be the same size as the old ones, the Toyos are slightly taller (by about 3/8"). We compared two mounted/inflated tires at the tire shop to verify it (they actually looked larger on the truck than the old ones).

The truck did not ride or drive this good with the Firestones or the stock Michelins (that were on it when I bought it).

After only one day I have to say that I am a fan of the Toyos. We will see how they hold up over time, but so far....so good.

So I wanted to say thank you to all the Dodgetalkers who helped me out with information and I wanted to share my results with these tires that had been recommended to me by some people in this site.

If you are in the market for a good A/T for a truck that mostly sees pavement and the occasional trail excursion, I would suggest looking at the Toyo Open Country A/T.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Good review - thanks Rammitall. I know other 2500 guys who have purchased those as well over time and they all seem to like them. Have you had a chance to try them in the snow/ice yet?

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
Wow, great review. Funny cause I've read a number of reviews that say the same thing but going from a Toyo to BFG.. Here is a review on this board: And it's not mine..

-START-
Well got the tires mounted last week, they look pretty good but not as sexy as the toyo MTs.

The tires are not as wide as the toyos where, the BFG are about a full 1" narrower and the thread is about 1/2" narrower.

The BFG really ride ALOT SOFTER compared to the toyo mts, IM IN LOVE with my truck again, the steering wheel feels alot lighter now with the BFG tires, maybe its because the BFG are about 16lbs lighter compared to the toyos.

The city dricing has improved 100%, I really like the BFG, the toyos where stiff, you could feel every road imperfection.

The highway driving has improved also, this tires track straight now, with the toyos it was sometimes or pretty much always pulling one way or another, the BFG do feel more spongy. I havent cornered on highway roads yet but will travel to the mountains this weekend and will compare the sidewall flex while cornering vs the toyos.

On dirt roads the BFG hands down is ALOT SMOOTHER, not as harsh, the dashboard doesnt vibrate like crazy over washboard type roads like it used to do with the Toyos. The traction on dirt roads looks like the toyos where better while cornering real fast.

On sand the BFG dig up less vs the toyos, I drove several sandy beaches yesterday and did not have to accelerate real fast or used the 4HI like I used to de with the Toyos.

MUD, it hasnt rained hard in the last couple of days to get a nice comparison, It looks like its gonna raind this weekend.

Over all Im really happy I switched to the BFG KM2, they are much better riding than the toyos, I still need to compared them with wet highways where the TOYOs where amazing and also on mud.

--END--

I guess well see how well your tires hold up! I don't mean to piss on your parade :) Just funny how what you said.. is the same thing this guys said!

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
That is a review of the Toyo MTs, but Ramitall got the Toyo ATs, right?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
told ya so.....lol

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a review of the Toyo MTs, but Ramitall got the Toyo ATs, right?

I went with the AT's because most of my driving is on pavement and occasional "unimproved" roads. Minor trail trips to a favorite fishing spot. No consistent off-roading.

Addition-

I originally had the tires mounted up white letter out. After they put one one I realized I didn't like the style of the Toyo white letters and how they were set up on the tire (BFG has this down pat). Had it flipped over blackwall and they look much better.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
hey no knocking toyo mt's :thatfunny

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What.....no takers on "boo"?

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, great review. Funny cause I've read a number of reviews that say the same thing but going from a Toyo to BFG.. Here is a review on this board: And it's not mine..

-START-
Well got the tires mounted last week, they look pretty good but not as sexy as the toyo MTs.

The tires are not as wide as the toyos where, the BFG are about a full 1" narrower and the thread is about 1/2" narrower.

The BFG really ride ALOT SOFTER compared to the toyo mts, IM IN LOVE with my truck again, the steering wheel feels alot lighter now with the BFG tires, maybe its because the BFG are about 16lbs lighter compared to the toyos.

The city dricing has improved 100%, I really like the BFG, the toyos where stiff, you could feel every road imperfection.

The highway driving has improved also, this tires track straight now, with the toyos it was sometimes or pretty much always pulling one way or another, the BFG do feel more spongy. I havent cornered on highway roads yet but will travel to the mountains this weekend and will compare the sidewall flex while cornering vs the toyos.

On dirt roads the BFG hands down is ALOT SMOOTHER, not as harsh, the dashboard doesnt vibrate like crazy over washboard type roads like it used to do with the Toyos. The traction on dirt roads looks like the toyos where better while cornering real fast.

On sand the BFG dig up less vs the toyos, I drove several sandy beaches yesterday and did not have to accelerate real fast or used the 4HI like I used to de with the Toyos.

MUD, it hasnt rained hard in the last couple of days to get a nice comparison, It looks like its gonna raind this weekend.

Over all Im really happy I switched to the BFG KM2, they are much better riding than the toyos, I still need to compared them with wet highways where the TOYOs where amazing and also on mud.

--END--

I guess well see how well your tires hold up! I don't mean to piss on your parade :) Just funny how what you said.. is the same thing this guys said!
I had originally wanted to do the BFG AT/TA in the 285/70/17 but they were going for more like $230/tire plus installation. Then I talked to a friend of mine who is a Dodge mechanic and he told me he has taken a lot of BFG AT's off of Rams because owners had problems with how the trucks drove. He also told me he thought the BFG would not perform as well in the snow and ice as the tire he recommended........which was the Nitto Terra Grappler. He told me he has put a lot of Nitto's on Rams and the owners absolutely loved them. I asked him about the Toyos and he told me they would probably be his second choice, but they were a harder compound than the Nittos so he liked the Nittos better. I really liked the looks of the BFG and they are probably actually a better "all terrain" tire but all the information I read seemed to indicate the Toyos were better in rain, snow, slush, and ice. So I went with them.

In any case they are head and shoulders above the Firestone Trans Force tires I had on it. And they seem better than the OEM Michelins (LTX's) that were on the truck when I bought it. Time will tell if they are worth the money or if they hold up well, but I have to say I enjoy driving my truck a lot more with these sneakers.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
ok, boo who?

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts

Attachments

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
^^^^^^
:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are too much.

·
Master Of The SNAFU
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good review - thanks Rammitall. I know other 2500 guys who have purchased those as well over time and they all seem to like them. Have you had a chance to try them in the snow/ice yet?
Okay, here it is. It was 60 degrees saturday, 55 on sunday, but today we are getting a mini-blizzard. That's life in New England.

Here's the review as I drove into work this morning (with about 3" of heavy, wet snow and slush):

The Toyos really are a tradeoff. I don't know what it is about tire technology that makes them do what they do, but this is how they compared to the Firestones;

Stopping was better with the Firestones. They would almost stop on a dime no matter how much snow there was. No sliding. The Toyos slide a little bit when you come to a stop, not obnoxious but noticeable. I slid a foot or two at a stop this morning. Advantage; Firestone.

Initial traction, 2wd. Here's what surprised me. The Firestones were better. I could have gotten out of the driveway without putting it in 4x4 with the Firestones. I immediately had to go to 4wd with the Toyos, I couldn't move in 2wd. Surprising because the Toyos were far superior in the mud this past weekend (I live on a dirt road and the warm temps meant snow melting and MUD). In the slick thin mud the Toyos did better, never having to go to 4x4 (like I did with the Firestones). Advantage; Firestone (for snow).

Initial traction, 4x4. The Firestones would always spin slightly when accelerating. After the first few feet the spin would stop and the truck would go. Not so with the Toyos. When the rear end started to spin in 2wd I thought "Great. Gonna spin like a bastage in 4x4, too". Not so. Once in 4x4 mode the tires gripped, immediately. No spin at all. Advantage; Toyo.

On road driving at speed. The Toyo was superior. With the Firestones even a little bit of slush would pull the truck all around the road like it was floating. Hit a pile and the wheel would pull you in a different direction. Cornering was the same, you had to be extra cautious when turning so the front end didn't slide or plow in the turn. The Toyo is hands-down better. Much better straight line tracking and more confidence inspiring turns. Driving at road speeds the Toyo seems more planted on the road. No constant wheel correction or sudden rear end slides/movement. Advantage; Toyo. And this is considering that the road I live on was 3" of snow over about 3" of mud.

I guess that whether or not you thought the Toyos were good would depend on what you expected out of an A/T tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
was running toyo m/t 35's siped on my 05 dodge ram 3500 awsome tire off road tire but just sucked on hiway do not recomend toyo m/t siped or not for winter driveing just look at photo avtar am now looking at toyo a/t for my new o7 ram 3500 any suggestions oh yeah 05 write off

1 - 20 of 24 Posts