DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just bought a 36ft. toy hauler and I am going to be loading 5 or 6 quads in it and sometimes a Ls1 sandrail. I was wondering if I should add leaf helpers to my 1996 dodge ram 1500 5.2 V8 to help it from sagging so low when I decide to load the camper down with my toys?:rck::rck:

·
Registered
803 Posts
well the good thing about the toy haulers is the toys most times I see are loaded behind the campers axles which actually takes off some weight from your truck. How heavy is the camper number one? and number two how heavy is everything you are gonna be hauling? My first impression is a 5.2 and my estimate of close to 7,000-8,000 pounds might be close to your limit. I got a 5.2 with a stick and my problem is my clutch. I am sure you have an auto which will handle it better. Also make sure you got a brake controller and brakes.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
I'm going to say that your toy hauler itself is over your limit. My neighbor across the street has a 24' and carries 2-3 dirt bikes and it was too much for his 1500 Ram.

I have a 30' travel trailer that weighs in around 5500-6000lbs loaded. By loaded I mean clothes, food, general supplies. If you need to carry water that adds a few hundred pounds. Not to mention gas for your quads, tools, gear. My trailer and truck together reaches my gross of 12,500 and my trailer is an ultra-lite.

To tow that much weight you'll also need a weight distribution hitch preferably with an anti-sway set up included ie...The Equalizer hitch. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

On the 2001 1500 the MOST it's rated to tow is 7950lbs. I'm sure the '96 is rated the same if not lower. And that's only if you have a 4x2 reg cab. The numbers go down from there. The chart is here http://dodgeram.info/2001/towing-charts.html#1500

Just because you can move it doesn't mean it's safe. I've done my homework when it comes to towing. I wanted to make sure that my set-up is safe for the sake of my family and every other family out there, PLEASE do the same.

Now I'm assuming by your post that your not used to towing something that big or heavy, that's why I posted all this.

If you give us the numbers we'll be able to help you figure this thing out.

BTW...If a salesman said that your truck can pull this, chances are that he lied to you. Most of them do. I was told that my truck could pull a 7500lb (dry) 5th wheel. I laughed at the guy and told him that he was nuts. I know what my limits are. I belong to an RV forum that's bigger than DT. I see these stories all day long and the answers are always the same. If your new to towing you need to read this...http://www.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_0812_towing_tips_and_lessons/index.html

The bottom line is...
How much does your TH weigh dry & gross?
Your tow limit is no more than 7950lbs for a total of 12,500lbs gross. (that's truck AND trailer)
Your truck weighs around 6500lbs.
How much do your quads weigh?

If you doubt ANYTHING I'm saying post this over in the towing forum and see what the rest of the guys who tow say.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
well i wanted to buy a camper more than i wanted to to buy a truck. I think my ole mopar can handle a 12,500lb loaded down 5th wheel camper
I posted your first question on the RV forum I belong to and all of them said your crazy. Some even said that you weren't serious but I said that you were. I'm now thinking that they were right. No one in their right mind or even in their wrong mind would try this.

The only question left to ask is how much of your drivetrain are you going to leave sitting in your driveway when you try to pull away with this trailer attached?

AND I'M NOT JOKING!!!

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Be very careful. Flaming will not be tolerated. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Also, that picture you posted in the other thread is a KZ Inferno 3810 that is 37'9 and has a dry weight of 13685 pounds. Inferno doesn't make a 36' Toy Hauler. That trailer is too much trailer for even a 2500 let alone a 5.2L. It should be pulled with a 3500 dually.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Its not a matter of "if" your truck can move it, it will be able to move it, it's a matter of "how well" your suspension can handle the load on the road and if or how well your brakes can stop your truck and trailer in case of an emergency. The suspension, bearings, frame and brakes on your truck were not meant for that much of weight, if something were to happen while towing it, your insurance could and more then likely will try to deny your claim because of it.

·
The Man
365 Posts
if something were to happen while towing it, your insurance could and more then likely will try to deny your claim because of it.
Any insurance company will no doubt deny any claim they can. You'd get laughed right out of the office if you ever had an accident, and would probablly have your insurance dropped shortly afterwards.

I'd love to see your trailer hooked up to your truck.

I will get it hitched up tomarrow and post pictures.
Where are those photos you promised?

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Be very careful. Flaming will not be tolerated. Thank you in advance
If that's the way I'm coming across, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to save this guys life and his truck. And quite possibly a few other lives out on the road as well. We all know that it's way too much trailer for his truck.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
If that's the way I'm coming across, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to save this guys life and his truck. And quite possibly a few other lives out on the road as well. We all know that it's way too much trailer for his truck.
No, it wasn't you. I edited out part of 96dodge5.2's comment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This guy is nuts. Sry if your getting slack from all of us but you should have thought about that before you posted something like this. You are crazy. You CAN NOT tow that much weight with a 318 let alone one with almost 200000 miles its bound to fail. And where are those pics. I had a 24 foot 10000# GVW Enclosed cargo trailer and sold it because I would not risk the safety of others if something would ever happen. Including effing my engine which in it self only has a third of your miles. We all love our trucks and hate to doubt them but you need to think about what your doing and put your pride in your back pocket on this one. And really lets see those pics.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I bet your tranny don't last to long with attempting towing that

·
Registered
276 Posts
Notice he has not posted any pics of the lash-up as he said he would. There is NO way a 1/2 ton truck can handle a 36' TH, no way, PERIOD. TH's are VERY heavy. Yes, the "toys" in the back can reduce the hitch weight, but no where near enough to make it towable with a 1/2 ton truck. I'd even give SERIOUS pause to attempting to tow that with my 8800GVW 2500 series Ram. That trailer is V-10 or diesel territory, in my opinion.

I'm not suprised the guys over on RV.NET didn't approve of that combo. I'm a member over there too and that's an accident waiting to happen, to put it mildly.

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
Its not a matter of "if" your truck can move it, it will be able to move it, it's a matter of "how well" your suspension can handle the load on the road and if or how well your brakes can stop your truck and trailer in case of an emergency. The suspension, bearings, frame and brakes on your truck were not meant for that much of weight, if something were to happen while towing it, your insurance could and more then likely will try to deny your claim because of it.
This was my main concern. To me if he wants to blow his transmission to shreds or overheat his engine, that's his choice. However when it comes down to stopping all of that weight, that is when people lives are endangered. Stopping is the most overlooked part of towing from what i see. Trailer brakes arent everything.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Notice he has not posted any pics of the lash-up as he said he would. There is NO way a 1/2 ton truck can handle a 36' TH, no way, PERIOD. TH's are VERY heavy. Yes, the "toys" in the back can reduce the hitch weight, but no where near enough to make it towable with a 1/2 ton truck. I'd even give SERIOUS pause to attempting to tow that with my 8800GVW 2500 series Ram. That trailer is V-10 or diesel territory, in my opinion.

I'm not suprised the guys over on RV.NET didn't approve of that combo. I'm a member over there too and that's an accident waiting to happen, to put it mildly.
The trailer he "says" he purchased is actually a 37'9 triple axle that weighs over 13K empty.
I smell troll myself...............

·
The Man
365 Posts
I called BS as soon as I read the thread. Of coure I don't believe anything unless I witness it in person. Too many friend of a friend had this or that happen or bought this or that item floating around here on the internet.

I'll believe it when he posts photos of the trailer hooked up to his truck.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.