DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bjpram
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have decided to go from seasonal camping to visiting other camgrounds. My question is my 5th wheel is about 1000lbs over what the truck is rated for. Now before I get flamed for towing over weight I'm not towing on interstates or at high speeds. If I had ordered the truck with 4.10s I would be within tow ratings. How much harm will I be doing by towing this. The truck has 50k miles.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
We towed our 10.400 lb actual weight 11,400 lb GVWR previous 5th wheel all over the southeast with our Hemi powered 2500HD rated to tow 9100 lbs. Never had any trouble with it. However, even with our new lighter 8k~ lb 5th wheel, I'd still like to throw a 4.56 ratio ring and pinion in. It can be done safely and you can keep up with traffic but, you'll be in 2nd gear on the uphills at 4200~rpm. Mine just turned over 100k miles with no engine or transmission trouble.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
From what I understand, if you were to get into an accident they would most likely check your tow ratings and if you exceed the ratings of your truck you are in deep doo doo ...

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
If someone gets injured badly, they sure will check that. Insurance Co will also check so they will be off the hook and you will be on the hook. Ours setup is rated as follows- truck Max tow rating 10,500lbs. trailer is like 6300lbs empty, max is 11,220,over the trucks limit, but with atv-dirt bike, water,tools & gear we are at 9500-10,500lbs.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
All the other components of yor truck are rated to handle the weight, its the drivetrain that is not. You should be fine with the power you have, just goung to be a little slow up hill. I was at the max or a little above on both my trucks, the long mountain passes took a little longer but I always made it over. Never had a mechanical problem because of the weight.

·
15,912 Posts
Like stated above....you probably can get away with it, but in the event you have an issue, your insurance co will look to get out of paying. You being over the limit will give them that reason.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If the insurance company were off the hook for breaking the law, there would be very few claims paid. That premiss makes no sense. And backing up a little further, GCWR isn't law for private light duty trucks and cars. It's the manufacturer's guidelines based on many factors. Manufacturer's have never written law. If there's an accident, and you're at fault, being over GCWR won't be the charge since there is no written law prohibiting being over GCWR or GVWR for private light trucks and cars. The charge will be for what violation actually caused the crash such as failure to maintain control of your vehicle, failure to yield to the right of way and so on. Being overweight by itself won't cause an accident. Going to fast for your weight can easily cause an accident by failure to maintain control of your vehicle. So, slightly over or under GCWR or GVWR, better to be careful as with in either scenario, if you cause an accident, you're liable for injuries and damages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.