DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find any recent threads about towing with a lifted truck, so here we go.... I have a 13 Ram 2500 Mega 6.7 with 35" tires, 6" lift, bed side height of 63.5 inches (at the tailgate). I would prefer to get a 5th wheel, but unsure of the troubles of towing with a lifted truck. I have read that you can adjust the pin height, hitch height, ect. Way back when, my buddy flipped the axles on his 5th wheel, but not sure how often this is an option, i.e. torsion axles and such. I am very experianced towing, just not with 5th wheel on a lifted truck. I really appreciate any insight you can give.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I live in Alberta, the home of the lifted pavement queen trucks (sorry local joke that most of the lifted trucks with huge tires, etc never see gravel nevermind off road) anyhow the ones that do actually tow either use a massive drop ball mount for the bumper pulls or they still flip the axles on the trailers for the fifth wheels. As to how that handles, no idea.. I'd think fuel milage would suck worse and you'd be more prone to side gusts.

·
That guy
3,097 Posts
Although not ideal people do it everyday. Check out RV.net as well.

·
U got it Truck brought it
119 Posts
Something to consider is that some of the new 5th wheels are taller than 13' stock without axles flipped. 14'2" is the max by law and I can tell you that after driving semis for more than fourty years that even if the bridge overpass says 14' clearance they have been known to be wrong. It's no fun to back up several miles on a two lane. Don't ask me how I know. My opinion not worth the headache unless you are sure of your route.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely appreciate the information guys. I purchased a hitch from a friend, and when I install it, I am going to "test fit" with another friends. Will definitely look at overall height to make sure I don't have clearance issues with bridges and such.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.