DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering/hoping if this is possible, but towing a 3500lb enclosed trailer with another 4500lbs of car inside? So basically 8000lbs, from PA down to FL this weekend.

The trailer rental place mentioned I'd probably need a load distribution assembly on the trailer so it's not too much weight on the ball area. I can also rent the brake controller from them as well for the weekend.

The truck has the auto trans and towing pkg for whatever that's worth.

I thought someone may be able to shed some light on the possibilities of this for me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
With the tow package on my '98, I believe it's rated to tow 7500lbs, and that's will 3.55's out back.

What gears do you have?

·
Registered
586 Posts
What are the truck specs?

2 wheel drive ratings:

5.2l/5.9l 8100lbs trailer weight.

4 wheel drive ratings:
5.9l 7700lbs trailer weight.

·
Chrysler faithful
1,141 Posts

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I like that guide thanls for posting it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thank you. That guide was handy. If I'm reading correctly it says the max I could pull is 8,200lbs. Good to know for future reference.

The truck has the 3.55 gears.

Bit of a moot point now I suppose as I found a reasonable carrier who was making the trip this weekend and will haul the car back for me.

I still appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anyone know the limiting factor for the tow rating of the 5.2 5-speed? Is it the clutch or the trans itself?
Thanks,
Gord.

·
'speck my authoritai!
108 Posts
Does anyone know the limiting factor for the tow rating of the 5.2 5-speed? Is it the clutch or the trans itself?
Thanks,
Gord.
Umm, what? The tow rating is 7500 pounds?

To the OP: Yes, you need a weight distrubuting hitch, or your bumper will be scraping the ground!

·
Chrysler faithful
1,141 Posts
Thanks,
Gord.
Doesn't have things like the HD cooling system or brakes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Umm, what? The tow rating is 7500 pounds?

To the OP: Yes, you need a weight distrubuting hitch, or your bumper will be scraping the ground!
The tow rating for my setup from the link is 4800 pounds, i was wanting to know why it's so much less than the same truck with an auto...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The tow rating for my setup from the link is 4800 pounds, i was wanting to know why it's so much less than the same truck with an auto...
I think there are two reasons. The first being that the trans is simply weaker than the auto. It'll work fine for everyday driving and what not, but it's not made to be lugging around a couple extra tons. And the second being that Dodge didn't want to have to be liable for people burning out their clutches constantly - heavier load means harder to get going which means highly likelyhood of a burned up clutch.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I towed a little over 6000 from NC to PA with a weight dist hitch and brakes last spring. I don't want to try 6500 with the 5.2, it has loaded down pretty good.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Don't forget to stay within' your GCWR. Don't forget to deduct hitch weight from vehicle payload. I recommend electric brakes. If the trailer had a large frontal area (usual car carrier), you'll want to keep the vehicle in 3rd gear unless you encounter VERY flat roads. Higher rpm at speed will aid in transmission fluid flow and cooling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.