DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 13 Laramie QC 4x4 to purchase. Love the color and how the truck is setup, EXCEPT for the 3:55's. It is also a 6 speed. Checking the build sheet, it came with the factory tow package, tow mirrors, air suspension and even has the factory brake controller. Why in the world would it not have 3.92's?

We don't have a TT yet, but thinking of selling our motor home to get one. Probably in the 26ft "1/2 ton" size and weight. We won't tow a lot just occasional short trips, but we do have lots of mountains here in Nevada. I would have no problem swapping in 3.92's or 4.10's if it wasn't such an expensive pita for the Gen 4's. I had a "12 SLT with 3.55's and 6spd but never towed with it except our side by side, and it had plenty of power for that and handled it fine. Just slightly concerned towing a tt with the 3.55's. Opinions?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I hauled a 29ft camper this past spring, mostly flat land but a few small hills. I also have the 6 speed and 3.55's, but I also had a Superchips programmer.
The truck hauled it just fine w/ Superchips in towing mode and the truck in Tow/Haul mode. The only issue I had was I had about a 30 mph sustained headwind with occasional stronger gusts and only got 7 mpg (hand calculated)

Just a couple months ago I hauled my brothers loaded Nissan Murano on an open steel trailer, total weight was around 6,200 lbs. I did not have the Superchips on, just had the truck in Tow/Haul mode. With no wind I got 11.9 mpg (hand calculated). I did have to manually down shift to 4th gear occasionally while going uphills to avoid having to floor it.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input! That's the kind of response I was hoping for. I didn't know if those programmers did much, but will do some research on it.

7 mpg is about what I get going through the tall mountains around here with our motor home towing a Jeep Liberty. So, it sounds like fuel mileage would be similar, plus I don't think the 390hp Hemi would be getting near the workout the 305hp V10 Ford engine gets.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Here is my 2009 that had 3.55 gears and the older 5sp transmission (not the 6spd like you are looking at). Camper is 30' and weighs between 6500-7000lbs loaded depending on how much water I put in it. I towed it all over Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming and never rally had any problems except for the Ike Gauntlet type of pulls that are like 7% grade for 8-10 sustained miles up to over 11k feet elevation. Those types of pulls would knock me down to under 30mph, and 1st/2nd gear. But under regular driving conditions, the truck did fine with 3.55's. I thought about upgrading to 4.10s just because it is always nice to have the extra leverage, but never really got serious about it.

I usually saw about 10mpg on average when towing.

For full disclosure, I have since traded that 2009 for a 2012 2500 CTD. But the main reason for that was that my 2009 was getting up there in mileage, and to also give myself more wiggle room in regard to payload, and to not be right at the top end of my tow capacity. I'm sure the new truck will help out a lot on the mountain passes I described above, and since I live in Colorado, most trips take me over at least one pull like that, if not several. That might not be the case where you live.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, but they sold the 13 Laramie 1500 I had my eyes on, even after we had made a deal. After quite a bit of thought, I have decided to get a 5th wheel instead of a trailer. So will just keep my current 07 Ram 5.9 CTD and live with the rougher ride. I love the newer 1500s, but for our intended uses, the 2500 is just fine.........plus it's paid for. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.