DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what engine to look for to tow a small trailer. Dry weight 3,000-3,500 lbs, hitch weight around 520 lbs.

Would like to pull with an SUV or minivan, rather than a pickup, if this is at all possible and smart. I would not have use for a pickup other than this, which is why I'd rather buy a minivan or SUV for this purpose.

I would be pulling in mountains and flatland.

One of the minivans I'm looking at is the 3.6L V6 24V MPFI DOHC Flexible Fuel.

All guidance greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No replies, so here's a bump.

I am also looking at Jeeps, but believe a Dodge would be more to my liking.

Any ideas?

Maybe I should have titled this "What do others use to tow a small camping trailer?"

·
Red Trucking Admin
3,492 Posts
Anything with a 5.7 would be your best bet, like a Durango or Grand Cherokee, etc if you're looking at somewhat newer. The 3.6 may be rated for some towing but it's terrible at it. Torque peak is way up high.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Agree with HemiLonestar. The 5.7L Hemi can handle that weight with ease. The 3.6L, while it can tow such loads, will have to work harder. Especially when traversing mountain grades.

If not a pickup, I would opt for a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Durango as suggested above. Both available with the 5.7L Hemi or the Pentastar 3.6L.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is a 5.7 engine still good with modern-day gas prices? I would like to switch to something more powerful, but I would also like it not to be too needy because gas prices are rising daily. I would like a car with low gas to consume and good productivity, like the ones they have in Europe. I don’t mind installing a new engine into my older car. I would have to spend some time with my powerful LED vont tactical flashlight in hand, but I would get the job done. What would you suggest as a substitution for American Ram pickup? I would like an engine that would be less than 3.0L.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts