DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Redneck Yankee
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know my truck has a tow rating of 7500 but how would it handle 7000 with this...http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

We're looking at a TT around 27'-31' I like the ultra-lites. They are running around 4500-5000lbs dry. If I have to go heavier, I'd like to know what I can do without stressing out my truck.

Along with the hitch I'm going to get a tranny cooler w/temp gauge.

Would a trailer brake be a good idea too?

BTW...My truck still has the stock 3.55 gears.

Any other tips or advice is always appreciated.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I would get 4.11s if you can afford it. When I towed the 8x10 u-haul (about 4000 lbs) I kept the O/D off and was turning about 1900 at 65 mph, with 4.11s I turn 2500 at 65 mph. So you'll get a little better mechanical advantage to get up hills easier. With the towing you'll be doing your tranny will thank you.

The trailer brake would almost be a necessity I think.
Having a trailer push the ass end of your truck around gets rather un-nerving...it only took one time for me :D

Keep an eye on the tranny temps, anything over 210* is not good.

And keep an ear out for spark knock / valve rattle. I never tried towing with the PP III (back when I owned one) but I got spark knock at WOT empty. You might consider returning to stock when towing the travel trailer.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
A trailer brake is a MUST. Its law to have them on any trailer over 3000 pounds in most states. Some states are lower and some are higher. In New Jersey the law is 3000 pounds.
Your 360 with 3:55's should be fine to pull. The only thing you will have a hard time passing is the gas station :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.