DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff and need some help. I have a 2015 ram 1500 3.6l and recently bought a camper. the campers dry weight is 2200lbs, so It shouldn't have any difficulty pulling it. However It has extreme difficulty pulling it up the smallest of hills, and is even making the trans temp reach up to 215. Does anyone have any suggestions to elevate the stress on the engine/transmission? I have been thinking engine swap but I just don't know enough.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you happen to have the original sticker it should be on there. Conversely, if you take the VIN to a dealer they should be able to print out all the options the truck left the factory with.

Okay - did some research. 2015's were available with 3.2, 3.55 and 3.92 gear ratio's. My bet is your truck has the 3.2 ratio which pretty much sucks for towing. It's geared for fuel mileage and not necessarily for towing. 3.92 would be best of the three.

·
Red Trucker
2,629 Posts
You have a small displacement V6 that already has the unenviable job of pulling around your 5000lb+ truck just by itself; adding over a ton to that is only going to make it worse regardless of gear ratio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
North of 3500 rpm lol
Yes - it will not hurt it. There is a Delivery van guy that put north of 500000 miles on one in a van. It just needed chains and one head. What I was getting at is that an engine swap is not needed for pulling a trailer here and there.

·
Red Trucker
2,629 Posts
Didn't say it would hurt it. Simply stating the fact that engine is worthless below 3500 rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts